Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a P0441 on my 98GT with ej22 swap. It's an auto.

Here's what happened. Swapped in an ej22, drove it for a couple hundred miles with no CELs or any issues. Then blew a HG.

Pulled the motor back out and replaced the HGs, put it all back together and BAM after about 15 miles P0441. Found out I broke the stupid vac solenoid on the right (pass.) side of the intake for the evap system. I put a used (tested and working) one in, but I still get a CEL. I can clear it, but it always comes back.

What did I eff up?

Did you replace the vacuum hoses or just the solenoid? I don't know if it matters which side the hoses go on but did you put them back on the sides they came off of?

I dunno either, but I put them back on the same way.

I didn't replace the hoses, but everything is sealing nice and tight.

I didn't think this was the gas cap/leaky filler neck code.... I really don't want to buy one of those stupid expensive things. Mine has the evap canister in back so it probably has the dumb valve on it too.

i'd concentrate in the area of the broken/ replaced evap solenoid. that's where the damage was, that is where the solution will be, hopefully.

how do you know the replaced part was good?

check the hoses in that area and any wire connections.

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0441

i'll ask only because it happened to me when i did it, i know you didn't but, did you replace the ECU?

• 4 weeks later...

Why do people always just assume the ECU is bad if a code won't go away after they change a few parts? :rolleyes:

Did you check any wiring? Hoses?

The code itself isn't a tell all end all for diagnosis, but it helps narrow down the possibilities.

Dig up an FSM for the car and see what it says about diagnosing the code.

Is it possible the hose lines to canister got connected up wrong when the engine was put back in?

The canister is in the back of the car by the filler neck, so there's only one hose that goes back. It goes from the top of the intake > solenoid under the intake (that I know works) > a line that goes off into the firewall. So unlike some, there aren't 3 lines going to the canister under the hood.

The canister is in the back of the car by the filler neck, so there's only one hose that goes back. It goes from the top of the intake > solenoid under the intake (that I know works) > a line that goes off into the firewall. So unlike some, there aren't 3 lines going to the canister under the hood.

Did you check the condition of the hoses at the back of the car near the canister? (could just be coincidence you got the code after the engine swap)

According to Alldata, this is what the code is for.

DTC PO441: EVAPORATIVE EMISSION CONTROL SYSTEM INCORRECT PURGE FLOW

Look for cracks in the lines or a plugged evaporation line. With it running, take a can of brake clean and spray it around the solenoid and the vacuum lines. Listen for a change in idle even if its the smallest one, while you spray a bit of cleaner. Looking at how the system is setup, it can be a couple things, like the ECU, purge solenoid, SBF-2 or main ignition relay as thats all thats in the electrical circuit.

According to Alldata, this is what the code is for.

DTC PO441: EVAPORATIVE EMISSION CONTROL SYSTEM INCORRECT PURGE FLOW

Look for cracks in the lines or a plugged evaporation line. With it running, take a can of brake clean and spray it around the solenoid and the vacuum lines. Listen for a change in idle even if its the smallest one, while you spray a bit of cleaner. Looking at how the system is setup, it can be a couple things, like the ECU, purge solenoid, SBF-2 or main ignition relay as thats all thats in the electrical circuit.

Nothing under the hood is leaking. I've checked all that. The only thing I haven't confirmed is if the solenoid under the intake is getting power when it's supposed to. It doesn't always get power, only when the engine is warmed up and you're cruising, then it sucks the vapors in. So it's hard to put a test light on that. I guess I'd have to run the wires into the car. And if the CEL came on and the wires didn't power up then I'd know there was a connection issue and no power is getting to the solenoid.

I guess my next check is to find where the hose comes out in the back of the car, plug it up and pressure test it to see if it's leaking somewhere. The evap system is a blistering nightmare....

It's not the ECU. I was testing a spare ECU to see if it worked, and that also tested it wasn't the ECU at the same time. Purge solenoid is the one under the intake, right? That works fine. No leaks, etc. Why would main ignition relay cause a evap problem?

What's SBF-2?

The Main Relay supplies power to the ECU and the fuel pump relay if I remember correctly. SBF-2 is one of the slow blow fuses in the Main Panel under the hood.

If that were the problem I think I'd have bigger issues than just an evap code...