Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking to buy a new Subie, is this the wrong way?

So, my current Subie is rusting to pieces and as much as it pains me I think it is getting to be time to retire it. I really don't want any other kind of car, but I also don't have much cash to work with. So, I have found a '97 Outback that is cosmetically in good shape, but doesn't run. The car is cheap, less that $1000. I was all fired up to buy the thing and fix it, and then I started reading here....

First off, I am no mechanic. I fix all my own cars and I'm a pretty handy guy, but most of my fixing has been "this part is broken, take it off and put on the new part" kind of fixes. So, would be diagnosing what is wrong with this car be beyond me? Unfortunately I'd be buying it from a 3rd party, so I can't talk to the original owner. All the people know is that it was running, then it stopped running. Turn the key and it cranks, but doesn't even try to start. That's all I've got.

My current Subie is a 2.2, has run great for me. After reading all these (ok, not ALL of them but plenty) threads about head gaskets in 1st gen 2.5's that makes me wonder if I should even consider this. The car has 211K on it, and I have no way of knowing if they've ever been done. I'm not sure that's a project or expense I want.

A timing belt would be a given without knowing how many miles are on it, I'm up for that have done that on a 2.2 before.

IF I did decide to go ahead and get the car, and couldn't get it to run, or it needed too much, would it be possible to swap the engine out for a 2.2? It sounds like they're a lot more reliable, and I like that the older 2.2's are not interference. The car has a manual trans if it matters. Pretty sure I'd be up for that job, I had to replace the 350 Chevy in the first car I owned. I'm not going to say it was the most fun I've ever had but I got it done.

So the basic question is: Is it crazy to consider buying a first gen 2.5 without it even being in running condition, and without having limitless funds, time, or knowledge to fix it? Thanks in advance for advice/opinions, even to those who do say it's crazy!

Hi I just happened to be here. I've been thru this with other cars. It also comes down to Need transportation, Need space and privacy, Need this to come together fairly quickly.

We have to face the likelyhood that OB had some serious problems before it just "didn't start" . Even with receipts that a ton of work was already done, why would it be < 1k $ . This with 210k mi is a project in itself. It probably has good wheels and tires or you wouldn't even look.

One thing is the weather and perhaps your ability to work on stuff without neibors looking up your behind. Your 2.2 could be swapped in a couple hrs by guys here ( not me ,not you) Then there are other issues which are worth researching about ecm non-matchup and issues. Other issues.

So you would have to buy two cars. This OB and some beater that runs while the job goes on plus the other stuff like privacy and tools.

The other possibility as we come out of winter is someone releases one for maybe 5-600 more but it already runs good. That way you could pull your 2.2 and do maintenance stuff to it and get it ready for the big swap down the road of time. Just my .02

Edited by Fuzpile

With 211 K miles on the odo, and not running, this is a project car. I don't think I would consider or even trying much to get that car running again. It likely has a blown head gasket or broken timing belt that prevents it from running. With 211 K miles on that motor, it is not worth a rebuild.

It would be a good candidate for a 2.2 motor swap in. Yea, your car with the 2.2 motor most likely will swap in, as I am guessing it is old enough to be a gen 1 motor, if it does not have more than 200K miles on it. Still, you have to look at this as a time consuming project. There may be lots of other things that the 97 needs that you don't know about.....such as brake work, or trany work. Doing additional work takes time. You won't learn about these issues, until you dive into this project to put the 97 back on the road.

Keep us posted on what direction you take.

The 97 cranks and wont start. Maybe its out of gas, a common problem is a leaking fuel filler neck due to rust out.

Also, with that many miles, it cant be that solid if it lived in your area. Check up near the frame near the rear shock mounts, hidden holes in most there.

A engine swap would be the best thing to plan on, but 211k miles means bearings, shocks, struts, brake work, etc in addition to just getting it running.

IF I did decide to go ahead and get the car, and couldn't get it to run, or it needed too much, would it be possible to swap the engine out for a 2.2?

Timing belt, or some other internal issue, such as head gasket, this is the only option to choose. Broken TB on the 2.5 means bent valves. Way too much work on that engine with that many miles.

If it isn't a simple fix, like a sensor or blown fuse or out of gas. Drop a 2.2 in it.

As Fuz said, if the tires are good, flash them $500 and see if they'll take it.

That's not what I said. I wouldn't advocate purchasing a fixable OB for only that and trashing the rest. I don't believe in squeezing the owner who may have been very proud to own this vehicle. Then the engines are all supposed to be************ and everybody sorta thinks they know it and all the investment is down the tubes. NO. The car is worth a lot. You just have to be in his situation whatever that is, to repair it or transplant a refurbished 2.2 .

If you can get the car fro around the 500 dollar mark, then a swap is a worthy option. Waht year is your donor car?

First, if you get the car for a great price, you can troubleshoot it, mayne it is good to go with a simple fix. If the timing belt is broken, the engine is trashes. if not, then maybe a sensor. This caor would be obdII, so you can pull codes. I cannot imagine whay a car would not run abruptly unless it is a failed timing belt, or a bad crank sensor.

i wold say go with your intentions. try to make the car run, if not, do the swap with the car you have.

you might be able to source a donor engine or part from another car, make it run, then retire your current ride. Just don't put yourself out of a car in between!

Thanks for the replies so far.

I wouldn't put my current engine in it, it's got almost 250K on it and that hardly seems worth the work. My main question about the engine swap is what engine will match up with the trans, or does it not really matter? If I do this and have to swap engines I think I'd go for a 2.2 for sure.

I like the out of gas idea, that would be an easy fix. That's not really my luck though.

If it turns out to be a project, so be it. I'm pretty sure my current Subie will get me thru the summer. My friends (some car people, none Subaru people) all tell me go for it, your car is falling apart! So, we'll see. I'll keep you posted on what happens, but if I do this I will do it assuming I will need a new motor, and hope it is just out of gas.

Thanks, and any more insight is appreciated!