Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 97 Outback Limited Wagon - with blown head gasket.

Few days ago, while driving home from work, I saw the engine temperature climbed above half mark. By the time I parked in front of my house, the coolant was overflowing from the reservoir. After a quick search on the board, I am certain that my EJ25 engine is now history. Car is still drivable when the engine is cold but it starts burping after 4-5 miles.

With 99k miles on the odometer, I am torn between fixing the car and getting rid of it. It is 14 year old car but it has been fairly reliable otherwise and been serving me and my family well.

Fixing it would mean finding an used EJ22 engine and doing the engine transplant. I heard that 95 EJ22 from automatic is the easiest for transplanting into 97 with automatic. Obviously I cannot do it so I need to find someone who can do it.

I live in south bay area, California.

If any member around the area knows a mechanic who is capable of such job & is willing, I would appreciate a referral.

On the other hand, if you think the cost of engine transplant is prohibitively high for such an old car, I would appreciate such advice too. In such case, I will post another thread to sell my OBW. What would be a good price for 97 OBW limited, automatic with 99k miles, with broken engine?

Sounds like you just need new head gaskets. It's low mileage - hasn't yet been overheated a rediculous number of times - perfect candidate for the updated gaskets. They are $35 each at the dealer. Why would you throw the engine away with only 100k on it?

Seriously - you are over-reacting. Fix it and drive another 200k.

Selling it is stupid - you will get nothing for it. That car is EASILY worth $5,000 after the repair. The way it sits - maybe $1,000.

An EJ22 swap will run you about $1200. A head gasket job will run about the same - maybe as much as $1500. But the engine you know vs. the engine you don't..... you are better off repairing it.

The cheapest car is NEARLY ALWAYS the one you already own.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Agree with GD. Find a good Japanese/foreign car shop that is well experienced. Have them to do the head gaskets, reseal the engine (cam, crank, oil pan gaskets), water pump, timing belt, idle tensioner and pulleys. Your engine will go for another 200k before any issues if the job is done right. Make sure they use ONLY the upgraded Subaru head gaskets. No aftermarket parts.

I couldn't agree more with GD. His advise is spot on.

A guy here in Indiana is advertising a 98 OBW with 144K miles, and a blown head gasket on Craig's list for sale for $1,000. This chimes in with GD, that the car will only bring about a $1,000 or so.

The DOHC can be done in the car, but many say that you get a better quality job and it ends up being easier to remove the engine to do the DOHC HGs.

The SOHC is a bit easier to do and some have done it in the car. http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/7867-2000-my-obw-car-head-gasket-replacement.html

It really depends on what tools/space/skill set/time available you have to do the job.

Edited by Mike104

Got an estimate of $3440 for replacing head gasket and all - timing belt, water pump, seals, etc.

Seems reasonable.

Seems pretty steep to me! I'd look for a small independent shop that specializes in Japanese cars--specifically Subaru if possible.

Good luck.