Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how do you tell a 2.2 from a 2.5 by just looking at it? is there a code on the fender tag i should look at to tell? mine has a 2.2. the one i'm looking at i thought was a 2.2. but it may be a 2.5. the power steering bracket is different and the cars are both the same year. 93 mine is a legacy sedan. the other is a legacy wagon.

how do you tell a 2.2 from a 2.5 by just looking at it? is there a code on the fender tag i should look at to tell? mine has a 2.2. the one i'm looking at i thought was a 2.2. but it may be a 2.5. the power steering bracket is different and the cars are both the same year. 93 mine is a legacy sedan. the other is a legacy wagon.

yes there is an id tag on the passenger strut tower. one of the line is for the engine. the 2.2L is an ej22.

but don't bother looking. the 2.5L engine didn't come out until 1996 so both are 2.2L.

emissions sticker on the hood will tell you.

by year alone, its an ej22 2.2

most obvious, look under the alternator and an EJ22 will be cast into the front of the engine block. All subaru engines so far have their designation cast into the block(ej22, ej25, ea82, ea81, er27. eg33, etc.) with the "EJ" being the engine class, and the "22" being the displacement

i saw the ej22 on a 95 legacy today. but when i looked at the 93 it didnt have the stamping. it was on the hood sticker and the shock mount plate. i also saw a 1.8 in a imprezea. it had the same ps pump the 93 had. very strange. i had to get the ps bracket from the 93 to go with the ps pump i got yesterday. the funny thing was. is that the bracket was the same as the 95 and that impreza. i think the wagon must have had the pump and bracket changed at one time. anyway thanks to everyone. i have this under control now. i just have to install it all. tomorrow.