Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"New" RX.. uh oh..

First, sorry i already uploaded this with way to huge pictues before..

So, just bought one of these beauties and boy do i have a project on my hands, its okay though, the mechanic i bought it from has a rebuilt engine ready to go in and he is going to help me paint it fresh and shiney as well.

More pictures to follow as it continues.

dscf0106hy.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

dscf0111jy.th.jpg

dscf0110t.th.jpg

dscf0109rx.th.jpg

$2500 is pretty high considering age, mileage, apparent condtion, and being saddled with the EA82T. Looks like a $500 unit to me - is there $2000 worth of engine in the rebuild? Who did the rebuild.... why.... and how far did they take it?

That engine is pretty picky about who works on it and what they know. Be very careful.

GD

Well, the guy has been a subaru mechanic longer then i have been alive. A fresh paint job including rust patching is in the works as well.. he is a huge fan of this car and is really excited about this project as well, i'm not sure the extent of the rebuild its not done yet, im going to help during the whole process though. he mentioned we could drop a 2.2 in it as well.. is that something i should push for? its still possible..

YES! Put the 2.2 in. More power and WAY superior reliability. The RX is the perfect platform for it actually. You would be way ahead of the game by installing the 2.2.

Do some searches for EA82T and you will understand. The majority of members here will not own one. We consider it the low-point in Subaru's engine line up.

GD

Okay, its till early on enough that i can argue him around and get the 2.2 in it without much added difficulty.. i have been a little, hesitant shall we say, about the 1.8 turbo but it looked like a sweet car and with a rebuilt engine and turbo i figured i would be okay but if the 2.2 is really a way better choice ill do that i think.

No competition. The EJ22 is a far superior engine. You won't regret that choice.

GD

Agreed X2. The STOCK EA82T is 115HP when its new... thats if you can keep it from blowing a head gasket or timing belt.

An EJ22 is 135+ HP without a turbo... will run well over 200K if you just change the oil

Agreed X2. The STOCK EA82T is 115HP when its new... thats if you can keep it from blowing a head gasket or timing belt.

An EJ22 is 135+ HP without a turbo... will run well over 200K if you just change the oil

So, its agreed then, i talked to him and we are gonna do a 2.2 instead, i have to pull the wiring harness out of the rx and trash it and pull a new one from a 2.2 donor.. any tips on this? i've never pulled a wiring harness before :\

So, its agreed then, i talked to him and we are gonna do a 2.2 instead, i have to pull the wiring harness out of the rx and trash it and pull a new one from a 2.2 donor.. any tips on this? i've never pulled a wiring harness before :\

There should be a write up in the Retrofit Forum, I'll see if I can find the thread. You'll be spending a lot of time there, so it will be good to do some searching/reading for sure.

Another alternative to a swap is the EJ22T (much better than the slow 2.2)

Ask me how I know! :D

well first off good job on the rx you'll love it the 2.2 I like:banana: 5 lug is next or good 13" tires i've found

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hoosier&tireModel=Radial+Wet&partnum=06HR3WET&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

i think the 185's don't grab

na turbo you can do with work....

but your not haven a turbo will be a bummer but the ea82t like what i have in mine can be a pain in the butt

That engine is pretty picky about who works on it and what they know. Be very careful. !!!!!

GD

Edited by AWD TURBO!

that link goes to a dead end btw. I'll see about that keeping part of the EA harness, im sure the guys at the shop know more, this is not the first time they have done this.. I'm off to go pull the harness and EJ22 out of the donor though..

Yeah, I forgot you cant link to search results.

Just do a search in the Retrofit Forum for EJ22 wiring harness.

Wow, if I am taking this in right, $2500 for an RX with the EJ22 swap included in the price?

Awesome find! :grin:

Yeah its a pretty sweet deal, i'm doing a lot of the work myself i think though..

all in all im coming out on top though, the outside of the thing should look like new again.. only with moar power now :P

Finished ripping the harness out of the donor today, or at least as much as i could.. its gonna be a couple days till anything more happens to it sadly, but in the mean time. Im on the hunt for an adapter plate for the ej22->5sp D/R full time 4wd... if anyone has a direction to point me in i would much appreciate it..