Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new vids, Shotgun OHV park

Gloyale

Took a recent trip with a friend who just got a jeep up to shotgun OHV park outside Marcola, OR.

2011-03-26164905.jpg

Last time here, it was mud ruts. Now it's boulders. Awesome.:banana:

I was able to make it even with just my open diff in. (left the welded at home)

The jeep didn't go up this. :confused:

LInks are to the first 2 youtube vids. I'm loading more now.

Edited by Gloyale

looks sick. if i might say something, if you have a low range in your subi it is much easier to rock crawl in low gear. not trying to judge i just do a bit of rock crawling and that is how we do it. i also assume the terrain is harder then it looks. where is this off road park i want to try it! :banana:

looks sick. if i might say something, if you have a low range in your subi it is much easier to rock crawl in low gear.

You are correct.

that is why I was in Low Range during this entire video:grin:

Drivetrain is:

96 EJ18

88 5spd D/R trans (3.9)

any lower would require a transfercase.

More videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gloyale?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/BzuwCroTFnM

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gloyale?feature=mhum#p/a/u/1/o--lCIpnZPk

Took a recent trip with a friend who just got a jeep up to shotgun OHV park outside Marcola, OR.

2011-03-26164905.jpg

Last time here, it was mud ruts. Now it's boulders. Awesome.:banana:

I was able to make it even with just my open diff in. (left the welded at home)

The jeep didn't go up this. :confused:

LInks are to the first 2 youtube vids. I'm loading more now.

yeah a welded diff would have got you up there in no time! :banana:

i was just wondering because i have hit terrain like that in my 95 automatic and had not even half as much trouble but i only have a welded diff and at the time i had 28" super swamper tsls. any who that is a sick trail.

Hmm.....Did your legacy have a 4inch or larger lift? If not, you would not have made it up this..(at least not without some major rocker damage) At least that is my opinion and I'd LOVE to wheel with you and be proven wrong. (I've been wrong before, and will accept it if proven. SO post up YOUR video)

But to address your comments......

Automatic has a Torque converter which allows you to roll on throttle slowly and creep. Plus, these rocks are all wet. This wasn't a dry day. So "crawling" wasn't really possible 'cause the tires won't grip wet rocks.

Also, you were welded.....had I had my welded in it would have been MUCH easier.

And finally, swampers........yeah I'm on 235/75/15 worn out wild cat A/Ts.......

I am COMPLETELY happy with the cars performance, especially when you consider these facts.

im not trying to be a wongleflute i was just wondering and if you are technical about crawling you dont need the big lift just saying. my rockers are also completely destroyed already so no biggy there. i would love to go wheeling with you not to prove you wrong but to have a good time with a fellow subi lover. i only ever get to go with jeep and toyota guys it would be awsome to kick it with another subi. so to clear the air not ragging on you just curious still think your subi is bad rump roast and would love to go wheelin some time. :lol:

Doesn't look there was any issue with power. You did pretty good for what appeared to be an open diff, or an LSD that's not grabbing very well. That's a rough little patch and I know the camera doesn't show how steep it probably is.

Constructive critisism:

Lower your air pressure in your tires a bunch, looks like they're at street pressure.

Get out and walk the line you want to take, tell your spotter where you want your wheels, pay attention to him.

The third or fourth time you hit an obstacle and don't go over it, get out and find a different way.

i would love to go wheeling with you not to prove you wrong but to have a good time with a fellow subi lover. i only ever get to go with jeep and toyota guys it would be awsome to kick it with another subi. so to clear the air not ragging on you just curious still think your subi is bad rump roast and would love to go wheelin some time. :lol:

Subaru Wheelin for fun, agreed. I'm totally into having friendly community around our subes. Sorry if I was flickin ya a little too much 'tude.

Doesn't look there was any issue with power. You did pretty good for what appeared to be an open diff, or an LSD that's not grabbing very well. That's a rough little patch and I know the camera doesn't show how steep it probably is.

Constructive critisism:

Lower your air pressure in your tires a bunch, looks like they're at street pressure.

Get out and walk the line you want to take, tell your spotter where you want your wheels, pay attention to him.

The third or fourth time you hit an obstacle and don't go over it, get out and find a different way.

Yeah, Open diff for sure. This was a spur of the moment trip, didn't have time to put the Welded diff in or I would've been holding up the crew. So I went open. Dual Front E-brake made up the difference.

Tires were at about 35 psi (55 recommended for street, LT's) So I know I could have aired down a whole lot more. Without a compressor, I had no way to air back up so I wasn't dropping them unless I NEEEEDED too (stuck).

As for walking, spotting, and trying new. Alot of that just isn't in the video. I did walk each run a few times before going up. Spotters were very helpful in directing the use of the Dual Ebrake. And they put a few strategic rocks down in front of the larger boulders to help. (trying something different:wink: )

Check out my youtube for a few more soon.

no offense but it only looked like the subi made it up because it was driven by someone crazy enough or just didn't care to drive it on the ragged edge.Example: all the tire,brake, and clutch smoke in the videos.

still though it looked like a hell of a lotta fun.next time air the tires down,and run the welded diff.

with the welded diff it would have went up it with no drama and less tire smoke...

:burnout: :burnout:

:burnout: :burnout:

rather than like that.Although burnouts are cool as long as your not buying the tires...

no offense but it only looked like the subi made it up because it was driven by someone crazy enough or just didn't care to drive it on the ragged edge.Example: all the tire,brake, and clutch smoke in the videos.

There is no clutch smoke.

It's all tire and brake pads from front E-brake usage. Tires are old A/T's not worried about burning them.

And like I said. Airing down was a last resort. I made it without needing to. Also, frankly, I feel I would have broken an axle with a welded diff, so I'm actually happy to have left it at home.

I've been hearing you talk tons of big game for years about how badass you and your cars will be.......yet to see any videos:rolleyes:.

Proof is in the MPEG.:banana: Your turn.

Tires were at about 35 psi (55 recommended for street, LT's) So I know I could have aired down a whole lot more. Without a compressor, I had no way to air back up so I wasn't dropping them unless I NEEEEDED too (stuck).

55psi is not the recommended psi, it's the maximum for full load, which for a LT would be around 2k lbs per tire. Your whole car probably weighs around 2,800lbs, so around 700lbs per tire. You should probably be running less pressure than you are to start with. The bigger the tire, the lower the air pressure to get the tread to lie flat on the road with the same weight. 30psi or less would probably work better for street driving, you need to check how the tread contacts by marking the tread and driving it on pavement for a few feet.

I used to run my 235/75/15's at about 25-27 psi for in town driving.with my tires they "looked about right" at that psi.the sidewall wasn't squished and the tread pattern under the tire was flat.

but then I was probably 2400 lbs with my striped out and cut EA81...

I bet 35 PSI in my tires would be one rough riding sun of a...