Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Click under dash then engine dies - SOLVED

Ok,

Haven't been on here in a while because I haven't had any problems that I couldn't figure out... but here are the details:

92 Legacy awd auto 328k miles

engine runs fine, but starting this morning, when sitting at stop lights for over 2 minutes or so I hear a click from under the driver side dashboard, and engine either stumbles badly or completely dies. It starts right up without issue. Obviously something electrical dying, anybody else had this issue so I know what part to replace? I drive 150 miles a day for work so definitely need this fixed!

Thanks!

Edited by danbennett2u

Anybody? I need to look at options for fixing this pretty quickly....

If it helps, no Check Engine light is triggered from this, just the dash lights up when it dies (as it should) nothing unusual once I restart the engine or immediately leading up to the click.

I am thinking ECU replacement, but would love some opinions before I go blow close to 100 on a replacement.

is your AC compressor froze up?

The click could be from defroster circuit cycling on and off, if the AC compressor is seized, it could be shutting off your car. Where is your climate controls set at?

ecu at pick n pull is not near 100 bones.

more ;like 35-45 they rarely if ever fail.

clicking usually involves some relay. My guess is AC. 328k is enuf miles a compressor might fail.

Edited by bheinen74

There is nothing inside the ECU to make a "click" sound. It could still be the ECU but failures in that respect are very uncommon. I would lean toward the ignition relay or the fuel-pump relay..... one of them may have a weak driver coil or something. I would get my hand up there on the relay's and figure out which one is clicking.... try a replacement used one. If that doesn't cure it then the ECU could be at fault for not keeping the relay pulled in. Might be a grounding issue also as the relays are ground controlled by the ECU....

GD

Ya it's a tight one had my fuel pump relay die in my 93 legacy wagon too. I replaced both the fuel pump and ignition relay.

Look close to the side there is a brown relay and a silverish/white relay. Get some long pliers in there and pop them off there holders. You can then grab the wires or the relays from the bottom corner lying on your back and pull the wires down so they are more accessible and can easily be unplugged. I found mine were wet from rust around my winshield letting water in. I left my relays just dangling you can kind of tuck them under the carpet so they aren't just hanging by the wires.

Another thing to make sure is all the grounds are good!

I recently had a friend with again similar clicking and all of a sudden didn't want to start at all was towed to my house. Found the main ground to the motor was corroded cleaned that one, and ran a seperate ground for the motor and transmission and chassis with some nice connectors and everything was perfect car was also running better then ever with no hesitation!

PS: forgot to add you need to remove the knee panel with 4 screws in order to see the relay.

Edited by ericem

thanks, had to remove both fuse panel and the bracket holding the fuse panel in order to get up there well enough, but am VERY thankful that the wires are long enough to pull it down to unhook!

I would be surprised if grounding is a problem, this is a colorado car and there really isnt any corrosion under the hood etc, but will keep it in mind if replacing the relay does not fix it.

Ok, its not the fuel pump relay.

Same symptoms, until after driving on the interstate for about 15 minutes without issue, I exited, and when I tried to accelerate the car stumbled, got the click, but instead of the car recovering I pretty much lost about half of my power. Engine still seems to be firing on all cylinders, but it doesnt have any power. Idle is fine, and if I rev it with no load it sounds normal. Exhaust does smell a little "gassy" though. Clicking under dash is a little more frequent, but does not directly correlate to the loss of power, as that is constant and the clicking is pretty intermittent.

I am starting to lean toward the ECU again.

No alarm system, no water around relays, have not checked the ignition relay, the only way I can check it is to buy a replacement since I do not have any spares. I have an ECU to try that I can return if it is not the issue, will not be working on this until tomorrow and will let you guys know what happens with ecu replacement.

I swapped out the ECU this morning (Why is this easier to replace than fuel pump relay???)

Same issue, click under dash after idling for a few minutes, and engine either stumbles or dies.

Sometimes it will go for a minute or two, sometimes it will click within 15 seconds of each click. I was able to feel that it is the fuel pump relay clicking and not the ignition relay.

I put original ecu back in and pulled codes using black connectors, flashed error 22 (knock sensor, probably from the slight clacking I get on cold startups).

If this was a grounding issue wouldn't it occur more frequently with movement?

So in summary:

No relevant codes

Not being caused by faulty ECU

Not being caused by faulty fuel pump relay (unless new replacement has exact same issue)

No alarm system installed on car

Not moisture related

Not dependent on temperature or electrical load

Fuel pump relay definitely what the click is, not the ignition relay

Any other ideas I can check?