Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Click under dash then engine dies - SOLVED

I think I have found what is happening:

Spark from ignition coil is arcing outside of the spark plug wire boot to the base of the coil, somehow causing the computer to cycle the fuel relay.

Not sure why it isnt registering as a misfire though

I replaced the plug wires with Subaru branded wires, and the car was driven for about 20 minutes and idled for about 10 more with no clicking/dying.

I think I have found what is happening:

Spark from ignition coil is arcing outside of the spark plug wire boot to the base of the coil, somehow causing the computer to cycle the fuel relay.

Not sure why it isnt registering as a misfire though

I replaced the plug wires with Subaru branded wires, and the car was driven for about 20 minutes and idled for about 10 more with no clicking/dying.

Because it's not misfiring would be my best guess. Sparks can arc out of the wires but still jump the gap in the plug well enough to initiate combustion.

A misfire is only detected by the ECU when it notices a difference in crankshaft speed and it can tell exactly when the change occurs, such as the time between two cylinders firing.

Plus as I like to say, It's OBD-1. OBD-1 is not exactly sensitive. The thing could be on fire and it wouldn't set a code. :lol:

Hopefully your fix works longterm.