Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Help: 99 Impreza Outback Sport

Started developing a 'whirring' noise a couple weeks ago. It got worse and I would have sworn the bearing on the alternator were going at 186k... No big deal as I was planning on installing a new one soon anyway just due to it's age. Installed new alternator. No help. Checked AC/Water pump and noise is still there. Now it's turned into a 'knocking' noise that really seems to hit around 2500 rpm. This car hasn't ever used a drop of oil but I thought I'ld better check and damn, it's down about 1 1/2 quarts. Added oil. No help. No oil spots on floor of garage, etc... Can anyone give me any ideas on what the issue might be?

Also, unhooked negative battery cable while changing out the alternator and now the turn signals are blinking on and off until I start the car. I can for the life of me remember how I reset that as I've done it before. Help! (Getting old and feeble. Ha)

Appreciate any/all ideas and Thanks in advance.

UMT

Sounds like a definite timing belt tensioner. Fix it quick or stop driving it before the belt breaks and you crash the valves. The knocking you are hearing is the tensioner slapping against it's stop as the belt has added friction on it from one of the idlers dieing......

To manually disable the alarm - turn the key on and off rapidly 5 or 6 times.... should stop it.

GD