Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lift Issues

I just bought a 91 Loyale with a 2" BO Monster lift and 28" BFG Mudders. It looks great and has a lot of clearance, but the suspension is so soft that the tire easily rubs the mud flap. I really don't want to have to remove the mud flap and cut the fender. Is there anything I can do to improve this without much work or $$$? I have seen a thread in here about swapping in some Accord springs and 4 Runner struts to stiffen it up, but that would still leave the same clearance and issues. I really don't want to drop money into a 4" lift, although I would love to have one. I know the 4" lift has a plate that drops the rear diff. Is this plate an option for me, is there more to it, or would it just be stupid?

Thanks,

Nick

Pony up the money to do it right. The 2" strut lifts that people do with some sqaure tube are lame and can hardly be called a lift at all. Build a 4" lift if you don't want to buy one. It's not that hard and for what most of the people that build them charge you could buy all the tools to crank one out.

Dropping the diff won't help with tire clearance. That's done to prevent axle damage. Your clearance is determined by your strut placement.

Stiff suspension defeats the purpose of having a lifted rig with mud tires. If you are going off road you want a soft suspension to conform to the landscape and grip the terrain. Stiff just means you end up with two tires off the ground all the time. Stiffer will not help you - you need more clearance to run the tires you have - that means more lift.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder