Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've tried and tried, and I can't get the cam sprocket off.

Is the bolt left hand threaded or what?

I've got a 1" wrench on the cam and a breaker bar on the pulley bolt, and I'm

afraid of damaging the cam if I apply any more force to it.

I don't have any impact tools at my disposal and I'm sick of beating on my

breaker bar and having to reef on it with a pipe extension.

Are there any hints tips or tricks to getting the head bolts out without

removing the cams?

I don't have any shallow enough wobblies to get in there, nor any sockets that

fit under the cams with anything attached.

Twitch

I'm sorry. I'm not up to speed on what an EJ25D is, heck I get confused by all the talk around here of Phase 1 and Phase 2's.

You know this by now but the best way to do the cam sprocket bolt is with an impact while the timing belt is still on.

IIR on the DOHC there are 2 flat spots meant for a skinny wrench up somewhere pretty close to the cam sprocket. At this point you may need to grind an open end wrench to get in there - but look for those flat spots you may need to spin the cam to see them.

Edit: perhaps the 1" wrench is where I'm talking about.

Sometimes they don't go quietly..... I've had to break the pullies off with a hammer in one instance :rolleyes:. And I have air tools.

You can break the rear belt cover and remove the cam with the pullies attached..... or keep trying to remove those bolts. Apply a little heat and then some penetrant perhaps....

I don't see you getting access to the head bolts without pulling the cams. I'm not sure they will even thread out far enough to allow the head to come off without removing the cams.

GD

I'm sorry. I'm not up to speed on what an EJ25D is, heck I get confused by all the talk around here of Phase 1 and Phase 2's.

Its the Phase 1 DOHC EJ25

You know this by now but the best way to do the cam sprocket bolt is with an impact while the timing belt is still on.

Yeah, I know, but the engine didn't come with a belt.

It was a replacement that someone didn't want.

95 or 105k on it, the guy didn't specify ;)

IIR on the DOHC there are 2 flat spots meant for a skinny wrench up somewhere pretty close to the cam sprocket. At this point you may need to grind an open end wrench to get in there - but look for those flat spots you may need to spin the cam to see them.

Edit: perhaps the 1" wrench is where I'm talking about.

Yep, the 1" wrench is on those flat spots.

Its braced against a cinderblock and I'm really giving the bolt hell.

GD, I only need the block, so its not a big deal if something breaks, but I

really don't want to ruin anything on the cams or the heads if it isn't

necessary.

They're low mile (as mentioned earlier) and would be a shame to bust

anything on them.

*sigh*

I might just have to break out the torch and an even bigger pipe extension

for the breaker bar.

Twitch

The "snap" of an impact is your friend here. I even have a 1/2" electric impact for when air isn't convenient that does a decent job.

Atleast it's not the heads that are your priority.

How big of a deal to hand a belt on this engine? Just a thought.

If you don't care about the heads, just break the timing covers...

I'd keep trying though, those heads are worth quite a bit. I posted a set with 230k that came off an overheated engine and sold them overnight for $150. Should have asked more!

If you don't care about the heads, just break the timing covers...

I'd keep trying though, those heads are worth quite a bit. I posted a set with 230k that came off an overheated engine and sold them overnight for $150. Should have asked more!

Crap. I've probably got 8 sets, with less miles. Perhaps I should send them to Maine.

I know the heads are worth a couple hundred around here.

I really don't want to damage them.

I might just take my bfh to the end of my breaker bar some more.

Poor man's impact wrench :-\

As for getting a belt on it, I don't have any used EJ25D belts lying around for a quick swap.

Heck, I don't even have any new ones.

Sounds like a pound-fest or finding somebody with air impact tools I can borrow.

Got a good air compressor, just don't have anything that can apply as much torque as me bouncing on a breaker bar.

Twitch

When hammering on a wrench, the shorter the wrench the better. Use a box end wrench, they're pretty rigged. If you bang on the end of a breaker bar, the flex in the shaft will absorb most of the force.

And I have no idea why those heads are worth so much... I think they're junk... haha.

twitcher. Impact Is your friend. Problem is it's already going thru various bends. If you have a Large pipe wrench and get a good bite on the bolt's, socket, good. Now what you need is a small comealong or Large twist ..Heck even a piece of chain. The idea is to wind it until there is tremendous tension between the two wrenches Then whack that breaker bar. You might want to put some cardboard over stuff.:)

twitcher. Impact Is your friend. Problem is it's already going thru various bends. If you have a Large pipe wrench and get a good bite on the bolt's, socket, good. Now what you need is a small comealong or Large twist ..Heck even a piece of chain. The idea is to wind it until there is tremendous tension between the two wrenches Then whack that breaker bar. You might want to put some cardboard over stuff.:)

Tensioning everything is usually done by me braving a limb while whacking the end of the breaker bar.

The chain idea is awesome.

I'll be working on it as soon as I kick this damn cold crap out.

Can't do much when you're hacking and feverish.

Twitch