Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I own a 97 legacy wagon awd auto. My car is without a doubt suffering from torqu e bind. i have tried the fwd fuse and nothing happens. light on dash doesnt come on to indicate awd is disconnected and torque bind remains. from what i have read from you guys i understand that to indicate a bad "duty c solenid" or clutch pack. my problem is finding a new solenoid. i dont know if it is referred to as something else but i cant find a "duty c" solenoid. i have found tranny solenoids with other names but not "duty c". can someone clarify? part number maybe? i am also looking for trailing arm brackets for a first gen ob. Any leads would be apreciated. thanks

Found the "c" solenoid aka "transfer duty solenoid". Thanks for the link. Is the solenoid change really as easy as taking the tail housing off and replacing it? Not having to pull the trans makes life easy. Would you guys suggest replacing clutches or the "clutch pack" while I'm in there. Trying to breathe new life in my little soobie. Wouldn't be able to without the know how. Thanks a million guys.

it sounds like you have a very unique set of circumstances.

1. no flashing AT Temp light at start up indicating a bad duty c. if this is correct i wouldn't replace the duty c, it's not bad. at least the trans computer does not think so.

2. no FWD light on the dash (its red and low, left of center) when you put in the fuse. if this is correct the duty c is bad, replace it.

i have never heard of this combination. one or the other, sure, but not both. something is not right.

how does the car / trans run other than the binding?? does it shift alright? goes through all 4 gears? good pick up, down shifts ok?

how long have you had the car?

how long have you had the problem?

do the AT Temp and the FWD lights come on with all the other lights when you turn the key on, just before you start the car??

it could be that the bulbs are bad or missing.

Question. Does your AT TEMP light come on at start up to let you know it is working? It should illuminate for about 10 seconds or so and then go out. If it does do that and isn't blinking, then your duty C is good and you can save your money. If it soes not come on, then the bulb is bad or someone has taken the bulb out of the dash. You will need to replace the bulb so that you can get the transmission codes and figure out what is bad.

The best way to fix the problem is to replace the solenoid, if it is bad, and the grind down the grooves on the drum. Once you do those, the problem should be solved. If you are not sure about the grinding, you can do a search and you will find a thread about the repair.

To clarify. My AT temp light does come on at start up and goes off after a few seconds. After that the light stays off. I've tried the fuse and no light appears on dash and there's no binding relief. I've had the wagon about 4 years. Binding has always been there.

Other than the binding the trans shifts smooth and feels strong. I've replace fluid and filter in trans every 15000 miles. As preventative maintenance. Fluid has always looked decent when changed. I guess fyi. My check engine light stays on. I've tracked it to knock sensor.

It sounds like your clutches and the drive drum are the culprit. I would replace them both or do the grind on your drum. The solenoid is not the problem.

Also. fix any CEL problems and see if that affects the tranny. Some of the engine codes are actually cross linked to the tranny.

have you tried changing the fluid??

since you have no flashing light, the duty c seems ok. the duty c bleeds off fluid pressure to regulate power to the rear. no pressure no rear power. the fuse activates the duty c 100% of the time instead of cycling it on / off.

no power to the duty c means full fluid pressure. full pressure equals binding.

dirt in the lines might cause the system to NOT bleed off pressure.

so the duty c may not be bad. but it is a moot point. if you open it up you may as well replace it so you don't have to go back in later.

but my real point: if the duty c is ok, something else is causing the problem. maybe dirty fluid or passage ways or grooves worn in the hub/drum. but if all you do is the duty c you may still have the problem.

you are going to have to open it up and look at it. it would be really handy to have a replacement rear extension housing with good duty c, good hub, and good clutch plates ready to swap in. but that would be complicated and will cost you more.

Edited by johnceggleston

Don't ignore the TCU (Transmission computer unit) under the dash (Driver's side). It's the gold colored box with all the wires coming out of it. I had the same issues and pulled the rear of tranny and replaced the Duty C.....no change. Replaced the TCU out of a wrecked one at a junk yard. Fixed it right up. It's a five minute job and cost me $40 bucks.

did you look here:

www.car-part.com ........look under ''computer'' i think.

i usually suggest sorting your search by distance since shipping an engine or trans is so expensive. but for this part, you might sort by price and get a cheap one. shipping should be less then $10 i would guess.

but you can do both ans then decide.

ps: i have one from a 97 GT if you can't find one , but i'm sure there is one on that website, and probably cheaper.

Edited by johnceggleston

• 1 month later...

:banana:havent been on in a while cause my soobie is better than ever. thanks for all the help! now my 97 legacy L wagon 2.2 has a SJR 3" lift, new 28" tires, new outback struts and springs, a new knock sensor(which made a huge difference), free flowing 2nd cat with no guts, and best of all. no torq bind! thanks for the help on the duty c solenoid. now that ive done it i like to tell anyone needing to do it. go for it! its very straight forward and simple. just pay attetion and keep ************ clean. it did help that my tranny was dropped 3" by my lift. didnt have to lower tranny or anything. had all the room in the world to do the "surgery". im trying to get some pics on here. almost forgot about my custom front bumper. rear bumper being planned out. along with skid plates and a snorkle.

:banana:

• 4 weeks later...

I have torque bind in my 1998 Outback 68,600 miles. Bought used at about 39,000. Tranny was supposedly serviced once before I bought it. I did a drain and fill at 43,000 and double drain and fill at 59,700 (proactive). No AT flashing light, the FWD fuse lights the FWD light and fixes the torque bind. Had one incident about 4-5 years ago with flashing AT light. The dealer did a diagnosis, reset the light and said all was fine. The torque bind started about 6-8 months ago. Since this car now goes only about 3.000 miles a year, I have ignored it, but would like to get it fixed before more expensive damage occurs. Before going to the dealer, I am going to replace the transmission computer on the chance it may be bad.

After that info, my question is -when I remove the connections to the computer, are there tabs that must be pressed to remove the wires or do they pull straight out? I gave a cursory glance and a tentative yank (they were tight) last week, but decided to wait until I received used computer to disconnect. Any help?

Thanks.

Thanks for your input.

Searching seems to indicate that if the FWD fuse cures the torque bind, the Duty C is OK.

The tires are Michelin, all four purchased by me at about 38,500 miles. They are all the same model and size, have been rotated every 5,000 to 6,000 miles, and show no unusual wear. I check the pressure regularly. Will check circumference to be sure.

A couple of posts indicated that replacing the computer solved a torque bind problem. So, having had a problem in the past with a flashing AT Temp light, I invested $34 in a computer from a '98 Outback Ltd. which I was told had about 75,000 miles on it.

One a part at a time is good when diagnosing, and if I have to go the dealer, I hopefully can eliminate the computer as a problem.

Will be able to try the computer and measure the tires after the end the month, and will update with results.

Do the connections to the trans computer just pull out or are there tabs which must be pressed to release the connections? Tough to see when I was upside down.

Thanks again for your help,

JIm