Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Noise from engine... new clutch needed?

When Im in gear going down the road with light acceleration (cant hear it over exhaust under heavy acceleration) or even just keeping speed, I hear a loud whine from the engine that goes away when I push my clutch in... Does this mean I need a new clutch?

Vehicle is a 1986 Subaru GL Sedan, 5 Speed D/R 171.3k miles.

I've had a bad clutch in a Loyale, and it didn't make any noise. When I gave it gas to go up a hill, the rpms would increase, but the speed of the car would lag behind.

Have you tried revving the engine while the car is sitting to see if it's caused by engine speed?

Check your power steering fluid. Mine whines when it gets low.

I had a noise in my 91 legacy that sounded like George Jetsons car when the car was cold and I was accelerating. Went away when I pushed the clutch. Never fully figured out what it was but I was told it was a bearing on the pilot shaft of the tranny. Not saying yours is this, but its something that has been said to me before.

I will say that (in a separate note) that when I am turning, I hear the whine from my power steering pump when Im going slow and cranking it.

I dont really know where to go from here, I was kindof hoping that when I pull the engine (to fix an oil issue) that I could just do a new clutch and be saved, but if its tranny :/ I suppose I could wait, I do plan way off in the financial future to do an EJ22 swap and an AWD swap with an ej22 tranny... for now, and then when Im rich n famous, 6 speed sti swap lol

@GD, so does this mean tranny needs to be replaced/rebuilt? I read that you said its better to get another tranny since they are so common, but I thought the D/R wasnt that easy to find.