Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Shifting into First....GRIND!!!!

I put it into 2nd gear before trying 1st gear, ... at start up or when slowing down etc.. with clutch too the floor and or just release a bit to help the trany roll just a bit while in 2nd, for some reason just going into 2nd gear and back out seems to align things in the tranny? then try 1st.... just a habit I got into years ago, it seems to just help it get ready for first? and maybe just in my head but my cars like it when I do it to her like that.. ;)

as for the different oils... oh yea... my baby may like some of that in her too... I might have to save this post for another night when were bondage errr.. bonding in the garage, right now I just use what the book says... but I like your suggestions as every grind is that much life ground away from the tranny..

I put it into 2nd gear before trying 1st gear, ... at start up or when slowing down etc.. with clutch too the floor and or just release a bit to help the trany roll just a bit while in 2nd, for some reason just going into 2nd gear and back out seems to align things in the tranny? then try 1st.... just a habit I got into years ago, it seems to just help it get ready for first? and maybe just in my head but my cars like it when I do it to her like that.. ;)

as for the different oils... oh yea... my baby may like some of that in her too... I might have to save this post for another night when were bondage errr.. bonding in the garage, right now I just use what the book says... but I like your suggestions as every grind is that much life ground away from the tranny..

yep, the 1-2 gears are on the same synchro, which is on the output shaft of the tranny, whereas the other 3 synchro sets are all on the input shaft....so putting it in second would definitely spin the synchros to help.

from my experince with my 83 gl10, it used to grind into second often specially cold and down shifting. 4x4in wasnt to great if u had to rock your self out. so anyways i looked around on here and decided to get some AMZOIL synth and man it worked wonders. i could tell instantly but wasnt best until about a month or two later where i had no problems anymore. it cost me i think $30 or $40. well worth the investment.:banana: oh and i can shift down to first if needed as well.

from my experince with my 83 gl10, it used to grind into second often specially cold and down shifting. 4x4in wasnt to great if u had to rock your self out. so anyways i looked around on here and decided to get some AMZOIL synth and man it worked wonders. i could tell instantly but wasnt best until about a month or two later where i had no problems anymore. it cost me i think $30 or $40. well worth the investment.:banana: oh and i can shift down to first if needed as well.

I went onto their site and they had two different types of manual tranny fluid. One was rated at 5w30 :eek:. Did i read that wrong and is that engine oil instead? heres the link

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=297

That seems awfully thin to me. But then again i would be willing to bet my slight grinding when cold would go away.

okay.... 26 years old, im finally humbling myself enough...

WTF is double clutching???????

I dont own a 5speed soob, but i hate my automatic.. my old datsun used to occasionally have issues going into reverse, and I would shift into second to help that.. because the first, second, and reverse synchros were all on the same shaft on those trannies.. never had an issue with a rolling downshift into first (the Z has this thing called "torque," she can take off in third if I am careful, and mebbe even fourth :grin:) but that wouldve been my second thing to try...

any time *I* have an issue getting a tranny into a gear, I just blip the throttle up to where the engine RPMS want to be, in that gear, at whatever speed I am going. Manual Synchronization works wonders.... is THAT double clutching???

Good god, I miss my stickshift.... *cry* even after driving my soob for 2 1/2 years my left foot still pounds on the floorboards when I get stuck in traffic that i KNOW i could drive around, were I in my Zcar...

double clutching means you release the pedal while in neutral. when downshifting into first, and people say they double clutch, you're also blipping the throttle. but just blipping the throttle isn't enough, because if you don't engage the clutch first, it won't spin the synchros up to match the speed of the gear you're trying to shift into.

I've heard, on a couple different occasions other than the fast and the furious, about double clutching when accelerating, but never any reason for it. and I must admit, I've tried it a couple times....and I know it slows me down.

double clutching means you release the pedal while in neutral. when downshifting into first, and people say they double clutch, you're also blipping the throttle. but just blipping the throttle isn't enough, because if you don't engage the clutch first, it won't spin the synchros up to match the speed of the gear you're trying to shift into.

I've heard, on a couple different occasions other than the fast and the furious, about double clutching when accelerating, but never any reason for it. and I must admit, I've tried it a couple times....and I know it slows me down.

Hmph..

You are talking to someone who often ignores the clutch entirely while shifting up.. and sometimes even while shifting down... I cant for the life of me see the purpose in doing so, other than for dealing with issues like this.

Honestly, I dont know if i have ever driven a vehicle that double clutching would benefit.. as I said, sometimes it was hard to get my Z into reverse, but I just popped it into second and then usually right into reverse.. with the clutch pedal fully depressed the whole time. occasionally one time wasnt enough, and I had to go back to second and feather the clutch while in gear, and THEN push the clutch all the way out and go back into reverse....

God, that took alot of words to describe.

anyhow, that is as close to "double clutching" as I have ever gotten. strange how you can stay TOTALLY ignorant of these things for so long, sometimes.. thanks!

I started double-clutching quite a bit before I changed to the ATF flush. It was especially on the 4->3 downshift so I can accelerate after lugging in 4th (well, 2500rpms, which is easy to tool around town in, just can't accelerate much).

basically, from 4th I go into neutral and let the clutch back out. Then blip the RPMs about 500 higher than I was in 4th. Clutch back in, shift into 3rd smooth as butter, let the clutch out and continue on my way.

The alternative is to just shift down to third, wait for the synchro to catch up, then let the clutch out. With practice, double clutching is quicker, much easier on the synchro, and doesn't grind if you do it right :clap:

Before the ATF flush just downshifting to 3rd would grind. Since then, it doesn't grind, but double clutching is still a lot faster.

ymmv

-Dave