Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've always been intrigued by Subarus and am in the market to purchase another vehicle. I was looking at a 97 Outback but was warned by many that the older Sube's were prone to head gasket problems, particularly the 2.5 engines.

So I guess my question is what year is the beginning of the "safe" Subarus?

I'd like to be able to a small utility garden trailer.

Looking to keep it to $8000 or less.

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Welcome:banana: not that it's a dance moment, well maybe for you've done some homework . I'm no official greeter or anything. I really didn't know or care too much about Subarus until it worked into perfect sense I get one. then I find I like it more every day. Very intriguing vehicle and it's 14yr old:) I can't say what the very newer ones are like. They are attractive, have different engines. Totally different world for me.

There are some cautions. I will leave that to those who know. Welcome and certainly the outback will pull a utility trailer just fine.

All the 2.5's have head gasket problems of one type or another from '96 to 2004. Though the worst offenders are the '96 to '99 EJ25D (DOHC). They overheat due to exhaust gasses entering the cooling system. '00 to '04 (as well as '99 2.5RS/Forester) use the EJ253/EJ251 and these head gaskets are prone to EXTERNAL leakage - thus they do not overheat unless allowed to run low on coolant. Subaru has a stop-leak additive that addresses this problem quite well though these head gaskets also tend to leak oil but to a much lesser degree. Usually the leaks are only on the driver's side head.

In both cases Subaru has updated head gaskets that solve the problems.

GD

One of our well versed members in Subaru repair, Davebugs is in/near Pittsburgh. I'm sure he could help you find a great car, with all maintenance done, well within your budget.

But to answer your question. Every car is prone to head gasket failure... at some point. The Subaru 2.5 is just a special case. :rolleyes: Properly repaired and cared for the 2.5 will make it to 300k miles and beyond.

I've had an ej22 blow HGs on me, and a friend of mine actually has one that's on it's way out now too.

For towing stuff I'd probably get something with the 2.5 that's had it's maintenance done. With your price range you'll be able to find a good one.