Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can I put an 87 auto trans in a 90 legacy ?

I have what I think is an 87 automatic transmission. I would like to put it in a 90 legacy wagon 2 wheel drive . The 87 transmission came out of a 4 wheel drive wagon, I think. I searched the threads under "trans swap" but could not find those years. Would Hollanders manuals go back that far ?

Thank you.

Although there is an EJ engine to EA tranny adapter, so possibly there is one going the other way.

So your 1990 is for sure a Legacy? I have heard several people say Legacy, but its actually a Loyale.

The Loyale it will fit (its an EA82 engine in the 85-94 DL, GL, Loyales)

The Legacy will not, as its an EJ22 engine and has an EJ FWD tranny.

That's not entirely true - if the '87 is a "Full Time 4 Wheel Drive" transmission it will be the same 4EAT as the '90 Legacy uses. You can interchange the front bell-housing sections between the two and you can indeed install it into the Legacy without an adaptor or any special work.

But if it's the normal 3AT automatic. No such luck. Those are not at all compatible.

But the good news is that 4EAT's for the Legacy are a dime a dozen. I can pick one up from any of the yards around here for $200 to $250 with a warantee. And they last nearly forever.

GD