Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Legacy Wagon with Leaky Sunroof?

I have a 99 legacy wagon with a water leak on the drivers side. I read up on this on the board and I have narrowed it down to the sunroof.

Here is why I think that. I found an decomposing acorn in the left side sunroof drain hole that was clogging the drain. I removed it and less water came in when I poured water over the sunroof. It still comes down the "A" pillar and leaks out in front of the fuse box and into the drivers side pan area.

I poured water in the drain hole by the wipers and no water in the pan area. If I pour it in the sunroof tray area, it leaks in the pan area. It also comes out on the ground, so it isn't completely clogged. I have tried blowing it out with an air compressor tip. When I do that, water comes out a little on the ground and into the pan, but not much.

I could put a fish tape in next to make sure it isn't clogged, but my question is, where is the line that goes from the drain hole in the sunroof to the ground and how do I check to see if it even hooked up prpoerly. Could the seal at teh drain hole be leaking and how and what do you all think might be the next best steps might be?

Thanks

since you cleared the drain hole in the ''drip pan'' the chances are good that the the drain tube that connects to the drain hole has come lose. i hear it is not a difficult fix just a little awkward to get to.

info below is from this thread, post #16 and #18.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/drivers-side-floor-wet-158326.html?t=158326&highlight=sun+roof

Next, I opened the sunroof and started investigating the water drains there. The front passenger side would drain, but water would dribble into the footwell by the dash. Found some online resources describing a problem where the drain tubing shrinks and shortens with age. Sure enough, after removing door trim and unfastening the headliner near the passenger side door, I could clearly see the the drain tube was no longer connected to the sunroof drain spigot. Water was just pouring directly into the A-Pillar and then into the cabin behind and alongside the dash. D'oh!

oE1tSizlHPRZ8zX8a46V8yCFOfHyB0eeXUFf92WmuZo?feat=directlinkoE1tSizlHPRZ8zX8a46V8yCFOfHyB0eeXUFf92WmuZo?feat=directlinkpicture.php?albumid=796&pictureid=4248

Had to wrap up for the night, hope to investigate the three other drains and find a solution tomorrow.

I found that the hose was somehow attached inside the A-pillar, such that removing the old and replacing with new hose would be more work than the solution that I tried: I gently heated the existing hose with a blow dryer while carefully stretching the end until it would refasten to the sunroof drain spigot. I then cinched a zip tie with a bit of silicone over the hose (behind the barb on the sunroof drain spigot). Seems quite secure now.

picture.php?albumid=796&pictureid=4252

The front driver and passenger side drains each exhibited the same problem, but fortunately the rear drains were connected just fine:

picture.php?albumid=796&pictureid=4251

They were free from clogs as well, too bad I had the tear into the car so much to find out for sure.

taglines: leakysunroof, sunroofdrains, sunroofleaks, sunroofdraintubes.

Edited by johnceggleston

That looks to be my problem. How does the headliner detach once the trim is off?

i don't know, but when some one was dealing with a roof rack issue, they just pulled it down enough to gain access.

i would think removing the trim in the area would allow you to pull down a corner. carefull of the sunroof control / light fixture.