Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How much does mileage affect value?

Going to be selling my legacy sometime in the future. I am not sure how much to ask for it.

The biggest issues are very high mileage (almost 330k miles) and non working AWD.

So I assume I will need to price this as a FWD car, but is there a certain point that high mileage stops reducing value? Is a car with 250k miles worth around the same as one with 350k as long as running condition, etc is comparable?

Value is affected by much more than mileage.

Paint condition and rust, no rust, lots of rust, rot

Leaks, maintenance records current, timing belt stuff done etc.

Tire condition

I would pay lots more for low mileage and no rust. I would pay more for high mileage if it has no rust over low mileage with rust.

Pictures are what sell cars..kinda like dating....kinda like food, if it looks nasty you aren't going to eat it.

Good luck.

I understand mileage is not the only selling point, and pictures are what sell the car... but I am wondering how much does 350k matter vs a car in comparable cosmetic and mechanical condition at 250k?

I know we are looking at cars around $500-$1500, at that price point does the extreme mileage really matter or is condition more important?

mileage doesn't mean much because with that much and age there's hardly any way to tell what kind of mileage it is. but in general i'd prefer a 250k to a 350k any day. that's 100,000 miles. if they truly were "equal" the one has 100k less life in it.

some caveats:

i would favor one with more maintenance records/completed on it - here are common high mileage items for this car that can be expensive:

struts, valves adjusted, exhaust, brake calipers, alternators, front O2 sensor, water pump, knock sensor, starters, clutch (if manual trans), timing pulleys and front seals. add headgasket for EJ25 engines.

i would rather have a 300k mile car with half that list replaced than 250k with none.

personally i wouldn't buy any EJ25 with that high mileage on it. much simpler to just buy a blown one cheap and fix it. they blow too many head gaskets and lower ends.

Determining value on car with 250K vs 350K is strictly subjective. There is no formula to determine how much less value the additional miles detracts from a selling price.

If you are wanting to sell it yourself, check the used auto prices on line from Edmunds, NADA, etc. That will give you a ball park selling price figure. Put a price sign on the window, and or, list on Craig's list, and see what a potential customer will want to buy it at. After some people look at the car, you will learn if your asking price is competitive, or if you need to lower your price because of super high millage, or because of any defects with the car.

in my area, and i'm assuming this may be a larger trend, two great times to sell a subaru are ending. i sell a couple cars a year and leave adds up for many months even after the car sells to gauge timing.

when the snow starts flying and february/march are prime time (my guess is due to tax refunds). i get like 5 calls a week...sometimes a bunch pounded in one day...and before that like in the fall and right now i'll go weeks without getting calls. i've gotten zero or one call in the past 3 or 4 weeks probably.

Thanks for the advice, as far as times to sell there is no attraction for this car for snow since the AWD clutches are worn out.

Will not be selling until closer to fall most likely, after I buy its replacement, and I was originally thinking i wouldnt get much more than scrap value for it (300ish) but I think just the fact that it is reliable and roadworthy and isnt trashed should make it worth somewhere in the 500 to 900 range, regardless of mileage.

Honestly it feels like it has 200-250k miles on it, and although it is looking worn cosmetically it is actually much more pleasant of a drive than a different Legacy I had that I sold with 180k miles.

Will offer it up here first when I do decide to part.

Thanks as always for the opinions.

i am going to look at this question as if i am a buyer.

i call you and you tell me high miles. so i think to myself ok fine it must be a cheap car i hope. where can i see the car and when. anytime is fine it is at 123 zxy lane kansafornia. i can be there saturday afternoon 4:00. i will look up direction on the internet thanks bye.

i pull up late because i took the worng turn or my wife was doing soemthing i told her not to start until we got back. i see the car it is nice and shiny. iyou coem out and i look at the interior. i cant see a spec of dirt or gravel in the carpet. it looks like it has never been driven. i am thinking oh my god. he is either going to aks too much or he will see the greed in my eye of such a nice car. you say i can sell it for scrap for 300.00 i'm going where is my wallet. oh sheep. slow down dont let him know you are so excited. play it off like you are still not sure. kick the tires or something. start talking about something else. i skipped a step here. if the engine is clean and not all oily it makes me want it even more.

pay for the car get title and drive off. before he changes his mind.

i hope that helped.

it is really hard to price a car . the nada and kbb books are dealer averages for what they have sold cars for. there are sections of the online books that are for consumer sales. to help you value your car. one thing to loook at in the dealer section of car pricing guides. is the loan value. how much will a bank loan on the car. if the bank will loan 1750 then that is pretty close to what you want to pay in full for the car. because that is the worth of the car really. or close to it. maybe add 10% for a down payment. and that works the other way too. if the bank says 1750. then ask 1850 or so. bargain down if you have to. you will get very close. high mileage on these cars isnt a super bad thing. ours has 241000. it is dented and dirty. but i wouldnt sell it for anything. not until it lays down and dies completely. then i woul dbuy another one just like it.