Ultimate Subaru Message Board

shimmy / shudder when backing or in slow turns

I have a 2000 Subaru Outback, 4 cylinder, automatic, with 73,000 miles. I've owned it for the last 33,000 miles. In the last month or so I get a shimmy / shudder when backing up or in slow turns. Seems to be more prevalent in when the car is cold, but can still be felt when the car is warm. I've recently had the rack replaced, passenger side, front cv joint replaced, timing belt replaced, oil changed and power steering system flushed. The car has new, factory spec Michelin tires, and, while in my care, has always been run with matching, factory spec tires. Thanks for your comments.

it's torque bind. if you have a lot of free time search ''torque bind'' and read up.

3 common causes:

1. bad duty c solenoid in the rear extension housing of the trans which controls power to the rear wheels. (this usually will give you a flashing AT Temp light at start up.)

2. worn out, dirty, or gummed up clutch dics in the rear extension housing.

3. dirty trans fluid.

4. much less common, it may be caused by a bad trans computer.

or a combination of some or all of the above.

A fast check of the duty C solenoid is to put any size good fuse in the FWD plug under the hood on the passenger side near the firewall. This should light a FWD light on the dash and if the binding goes away, you just diagnosed that the duty C is bad. If it still does it, several fluid changes might help.

Also double check that all 4 tires are correct pressure and match , same brand and type and within .25 inches of circumference.