Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 spark woes

well i started up my subaru buggy a couple days ago after it had sat for a couple weeks. for some reason the motor was not turning over and was clicking and after i let it click for a second it started turning and fired too life within a couple seconds (including that in case it may be relevant) i let it warm up and for like a minute and while it was idling it just died out. i tried to start it and it wouldnt start so of course going back to the basics i saw it was getting fuel, then i took off the spark plug and saw it had no spark. so i figure that means the coil is bad or not getting power. i use a headlight bulb and see the coil has power so i figure that the coil is just bad and id go to the junkyard and get one for $5 end of story....WRONG!!! I got get one from a suby wagon as ive been told those things pretty much never fail and think im set and go to install it and when its done try turning it over and it still has no spark. i go back the next day and say i got a bad coil and id like to exchange it he says hes never heard of a coil going bad and goes and tests it and sure enough it sparked and everything so i guess its not the coil. He said it was probly points but as far as i know the ea81 has electronic igniton so it wouldnt be that i dont think. so does this mean im gonna need to bite the bullet and replace the whole distributor or are there any other possible quick fixes anyone can think of. PS i took off the cap and the thing inside (whatever you call it) is spinning when it turns over if that means anything.

PS i took off the cap and the thing inside (whatever you call it) is spinning when it turns over if that means anything.

Thats called the Rotor. Check out this website, it describes the basics of a distributer along with a simple animated iamge:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ignition-system4.htm

Anyways, it sounds like you could have a problem there, check if you have spark at the ends of you plug wires. I'm guessing not. Then take a look at the points in your distributer cap to see if they look worn, inspect the rotor as well.

If it looks suspect at all i would just replace them both, its super easy and cheap. $15 bucks will get it on rockauto.com, i've not heard weather or not OEM is superior in this case (such as the case with things like the clutch cable and thermostat) maybe someone will chime in with knowledge on that. Otherwise stick to a good company like Bosh. This would also be a good time to replace your spark plugs and wires if they are aging (just do one of these at a time if you are looking to find which one was the original cluprit).

i am not an expert at all on this, just personal experience. good luck.

Crank it over with the coil wire off the cap and see if you have spark from the coil. If you do, it's cap and rotor. If not, you have a problem with the disty pick up, or the ignitor. Take a test light and attach it to battery + then touch it to the wire from the disty to the coil while someone cranks it over. It should flash/pulse. Aslo check for play in the disty shaft. Shouldn't be any.

Good news everbody. Problem solved. I took off the distributor cap and found out the cap was missing the little metal piece that gave connection to the coil. Im just going to buy a whole new cap and rotor for it and once that is on im certain my problems will be solved