Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '92 Legacy developed the dreaded "Tick of Death" recently after being run a bit low on oil. At first I thought I'd really screwed something up, but after reading the threads here on tapping noises, I thought I'd try Seafoam.

I put a 1/3 in the oil, 1/3 in the gas & 1/3 through a vacuum line. Nothing.

Drove about 50 miles, still no difference.

Then I changed the oil and used a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil. After driving about 5 miles, the tapping just stopped. Now the engine's as quiet if not quieter than it's ever been.

I'm really hoping I dodged a bullet, and if so, I've learned the error of my ways.

Yes and I honestly believe it.

i found that transmission fluid worked wonders in my motorcycle chain that had gone stiff and kept breaking. added a little to a bucket and let the chain soak overnight in there and now no more broken chains in the middle of the woods LOL

yes atf can work wonders and much cheaper than mmo. Atf is a very good cleaner. I use it to clean misc stuff all the time! At the same time it cleans but prevents moisture and provides a good lubricant .

Actually Advance Auto Parts has MMO for $3.49, which is cheaper than their least expensive Atf at $3.79. Since it worked so well for me on my Legacy, I think I'll pick up some more for my other cars (and my lawn mower).

I have used ATF over the years to clean cars out.

Something we used to do at Uhaul in about 1980.

It's apparently oil with a ton of additives and a lot of those are for "cleansing".

Gallons of MMO are cheaper. Often MMO is stocked at Walmart.