Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 GL wheel bearing problem, please help!

ive been trying to replace my rear wheel bearings on my 85 subaru GL 4wd SW

every time i open it up i found i got the wrong part.

when i order the part in the store it comes up as the single bearing assembly (with inner and outer in the same housing) but when i open it up it has the inner and outer seperate from each other. So i tried getting the bearings for the 2wd model because its 2 seperate ones but I opened it up and its definitely not those either. I can't figure out what part I need, has anyone else had this problem before? should i pull everything out and just stick the single single bearing assembly in even though thats obviously not whats in there already?

I'm at my wits end with this and I'm about to just take it to a mechanic and have them deal with it but maybe someone here can shed some light on my situation.

Ask for a bearing for a '90 Loyale. It'll be the same part but sounds like you might be getting the rear bearing for a 4wd EA81 car. I see you're in Corvallis. Head over to napa on 9th St and ask for Jimmy if he's in. Tell him Russ sent you to him and that he can help you out.

They are interchangeable - they made three peice units as well as five peice and also single-peice assemblies. The three peice is the most common and will work just fine. Just knock out whatever is in there and you'll understand how it works. The outer race is pressed into the arm and then the inner and outer cone's are installed followed by the seals.

EA81 and EA82 rear 4WD bearings are identical. There should be no differences.

GD

it looks like the bearing for the 90 loyale is the same single piece assembly i've been getting. I'm out of state down in arizona atm so cant go to napa thanks though.

It sounds like my best bet is to just knock out whats in there and fit in the piece the store gives me, try to make it all fit somehow =P

thanks for the help.