Ultimate Subaru Message Board

R12 Refrigerant - How Much? (quantity)

28 oz. - thank you very much! I'm going to replace A/C system with a reman'd compressor (incl. clutch) and all new hoses, fittings, etc. Want to get back to like it was from the factory.

I'll have a good HVAC shop do all the labor but I want to accumulate the parts myself. Is that a bad idea? I've already had a quote from them to do all the work & suppy all the parts of around $1K - would like this to cost considerably less.

Probably not a bad idea. Would be good if you could figure out how much of that is parts though. That way, you know if they can get some of the stuff cheaper than you. I would assume the compressor is a big part of the cost. If you're replacing all of that, you should get a new receiver-dryer too. You might have had that included in "ect", though. Good luck on it. Is the shop supplying the r12?

Probably not a bad idea. Would be good if you could figure out how much of that is parts though. That way, you know if they can get some of the stuff cheaper than you. I would assume the compressor is a big part of the cost. If you're replacing all of that, you should get a new receiver-dryer too. You might have had that included in "ect", though. Good luck on it. Is the shop supplying the r12?

I went to Rock Auto and looked at all the AC parts they have for my year & model, then put them all into a Word document along with the price range for each (if there was one). That way I will have a comparison sheet to look at when I am ready to acquire parts.

I already ordered a receiver/dryer from them that was on a screamin' sale. Their prices for remanufactured compressors are outrageous. There are much better deals at places who do nothing but make & remanufacture compressors & sell compressors. Right now I have my eye on one.

They way I use Google & the Internet to shop for parts there is no way a shop could get them cheaper. They have certain vendors that they go to and that is it.

The shop may have the R12 - they used to. I don't know if they've sold it all yet or not. I hope not.

Subarule

I went to Rock Auto and looked at all the AC parts they have for my year & model, then put them all into a Word document along with the price range for each (if there was one). That way I will have a comparison sheet to look at when I am ready to acquire parts.

I already ordered a receiver/dryer from them that was on a screamin' sale. Their prices for remanufactured compressors are outrageous. There are much better deals at places who do nothing but make & remanufacture compressors & sell compressors. Right now I have my eye on one.

They way I use Google & the Internet to shop for parts there is no way a shop could get them cheaper. They have certain vendors that they go to and that is it.

The shop may have the R12 - they used to. I don't know if they've sold it all yet or not. I hope not.

Subarule

Hi,

just so you know, there were 2 different factory installed systems used on the ea82 subies, hitachi and matsu----a (spelling ) . anyway there were also several other add-on systems that were "dealer installed" . you need to determine what system you are dealing with before you go buying a lot of parts , the hoses and compressors and brackets are all different between the 2 factory systems, as well as some of the electical components ,in particular the a/c amplifier, so find out what system you have .. if it turns out to be a dealer add on system , then you will have to get the parts as needed to match what you have obveously.

the hitachi compressor is a big sort of round with a pentagon shaped rear plate, the matshuta is the little square chunky one, looks like the panasonic compressor, the brackets are different for all of them so find out what you have first. good luck

Edited by ruparts

Long term the R-134 will leak out of the hoses and seals.

There are several replacements for R-12 that are made from a hydrocarbon blend that is environmentally acceptable and will not leak out of the R-12 systems.

It is doubtful that any of the automotive HVAC places will still have R-12. It is still availible with a license and is often sitting around in bottles at commercial and industrial refrigeration houses - because many of those systems still use it. It can be recovered and reused from lots of old refrigerators, etc. If you need some you can find an HVAC guy that does it on the side off craigslist and have him bottle up some R12 from an old (working) fridge or freezer you could find on craigslist for $20 or less - often free for the hauling. Appliances like refrigerators have POUNDS of R12 in them. More than enough for a couple Subaru's.

GD

Hi,

just so you know, there were 2 different factory installed systems used on the ea82 subies, hitachi and matsu----a (spelling ) . anyway there were also several other add-on systems that were "dealer installed" . you need to determine what system you are dealing with before you go buying a lot of parts , the hoses and compressors and brackets are all different between the 2 factory systems, as well as some of the electical components ,in particular the a/c amplifier, so find out what system you have .. if it turns out to be a dealer add on system , then you will have to get the parts as needed to match what you have obveously.

the hitachi compressor is a big sort of round with a pentagon shaped rear plate, the matshuta is the little square chunky one, looks like the panasonic compressor, the brackets are different for all of them so find out what you have first. good luck

I don't know if my compressor was a dealer add-on or if was a factory item. I am the original (and only) owner & I didn't have AC added. The compressor I have my eye on is an Hitachi. I will try to get a good look at the one that is on there now.

There is nothing listed on Rock Auto under my year/model as an "a/c amplifier".

The only part I've bought so far is the receiver/dryer. Hopefully Rock Auto will take it back if it doesn't fit.

I think the M word you're looking for is "Matsu************a".

I sure appreciate all the input.

OK, dumb question:

Where is the compressor located under the hood? I am no mechanic - far from it. And I never had to deal with AC issues myself so I've never ID'd which thing is the compressor.

A picture taken from the front of the car with the hood up would be good, to give me the area where it's located. And then a picture of a compressor itself in place would be highly appreciated.

I did look through all my Chilton's, Haynes and "How to Keep Your Old...." and have yet to find a drawing or photo of an AC compressor

My car is an '86 carbed GL on-demad 4WD, 5-sp. MT.

TIA

Take a picture of the engine bay and post it. I have an entire A/C system at home and it is brand new in the box. I have all the components too. I got it from a buddy of mine who is a subie mechanic and it was old stock at a dealer. Perhaps we can make a deal if the system is like yours? Even if you just want parts off it, I can do that too.

Take a picture of the engine bay and post it. I have an entire A/C system at home and it is brand new in the box. I have all the components too. I got it from a buddy of mine who is a subie mechanic and it was old stock at a dealer. Perhaps we can make a deal if the system is like yours? Even if you just want parts off it, I can do that too.

OK, I'll get some photos.

The AC system you have, what year and model was it designed to fit? Is there a brand name and part # on the box for the compressor?

Do you have the R12 too? (hah-ha-hah!!)

I am not sure of the year for the system. If I can see the compressor you have, I will know if it is the right fit. You can get the hood open, but you will have to pull the grill in order to get to the cable. I'm sure it snapped and that is why it isn't working. I may have one of those lying around, but I will have to look for you.

Just let me know when you get the pics and we can go from there. The system I have isn't going anywhere.

I am not sure of the year for the system. If I can see the compressor you have, I will know if it is the right fit. You can get the hood open, but you will have to pull the grill in order to get to the cable. I'm sure it snapped and that is why it isn't working. I may have one of those lying around, but I will have to look for you.

Just let me know when you get the pics and we can go from there. The system I have isn't going anywhere.

I am not a mechanic, at all. I was just looking at OES hood release cables. After I buy one I will need to take it to a mechanic to get it installed. Money I hadn't counted on spending.

You live in Richmond, OR? If so, that isn't far from me. It might be just as easy for me to drive there to have you look at my engine compartment than to get pictures and try to figure out what's what.

unfortunately, I am on the other coast in Richmond, Va.

The hood release is easy to replace. Two screws hold it in the passenger compartment and one at the hood latch. My daughter could do it, so I know you can do it too. If you need some guidance call me 804-393-0516

Save the money

Mike

There is typically a silver tag affixed in the engine compartment on the GL models. The newer cars have a sticker under the hood or on the front radiator support, the older ones usually on the strut tower near the drier. It will typically tell you a dealer part number for the A/C belt, and charge amounts for the A/C system.

unfortunately, I am on the other coast in Richmond, Va.

The hood release is easy to replace. Two screws hold it in the passenger compartment and one at the hood latch. My daughter could do it, so I know you can do it too. If you need some guidance call me 804-393-0516

Save the money

Mike

was afraid it was Richmond, VA. Oh well.

Oddly enough, I came back from running some erarnds and when I turned the car off in the garage I tried the hood release inside the car and it opened the hood. Really, I'm not weak or wimpy.

So right now it's unlatched and I'm going to leave it that way.

To take the photos I have to put the car outside in natural daylight. Much too dar in the garage to see things under the shadow of the hood in a photo. Especially when using a cell ph. camera. I'll get them soon.

What is not working on the system? Did I miss that? Does the clutch pull in on it? The compressor is the device with the 2 hoses and the sensor in front of the clutch. 12 is great stuff but increasingly hard to find- just missed out on a new full jug :slobber:.If you go to 134a you have to resize everything or you loose about 30% of your capacity. I have been rebuilding systems using a refrigerant called hot shot ( 414B ). I nhave access to 30lb cans but I have bought 12 oz at NAPA.

What is not working on the system? Did I miss that? Does the clutch pull in on it?

I'm not a mechanic so all I can tell you is that the air coming in the vents when the AC is on is ambient-temp air, not chilled. I already know the compressor is bad.

The compressor is the device with the 2 hoses and the sensor in front of the clutch.

The are dozens of hoses. Which 2? Which thing is the the clutch?

When you are telling me these things please bear in mind that under the hood I recognize: the battery, the coolant reservoir, the carb & air cleaner, where to check & add oil, and the radiator. After that it is all parts, wires & hoses.