Ultimate Subaru Message Board

R12 Refrigerant - How Much? (quantity)

Looking at the first picture, going from left to right towards the battery, directly in front of the carb is the power steering pump and pulley, then the AC compressor and pulley, then your alternator and pulley, then your battery.

How do you know the AC compressor is bad? Before throwing good money at bad, diagnose your system. Leak check your system to look for leaks in your hoses and cores, then check the pressure on the low and high side of the compressor. If thats above your head, I'd take it to a shop. An over charged system can give poor results just like an empty one.

Looking at the first picture, going from left to right towards the battery, directly in front of the carb is the power steering pump and pulley, then the AC compressor and pulley, then your alternator and pulley, then your battery.

How do you know the AC compressor is bad? Before throwing good money at bad, diagnose your system. Leak check your system to look for leaks in your hoses and cores, then check the pressure on the low and high side of the compressor. If thats above your head, I'd take it to a shop. An over charged system can give poor results just like an empty one.

It's already been to a shop & been tested & diagnosed. The best electric & HVAC shop in town. I took it in to have it chargd with refrigerant. It hadn't been done or needed to be done in 23 years or so. They filled it and then discovered that the compressor was bad so they drained it.

Thanks for the directions on where to look in the photo.

Unfortunately, the system I have is the wrong one. There is a car in a local JY and I may be able to go and scavange the compressor if you wnat me to. Let me know if you do.

Mike

Thank you for the offer but I'd rather put in a new reman than starting with an unknown from a JY. I only want to have to do this once. Since I don't work on my own car I have to pay a mechanic to do so and I don't want to get into that cycle of installing & pulling, installing & pulling. Very expensive, very time-consuming, and this is my only vehicle.

Just for knowledge's sake, which one (that you have) is the wrong one?

Mine is a dealer nstall system. I've only seen a few of them. It goes outboard of the alternator whereas yours is inboard of the alternator. I am not sure of the manufacturer, but I know it is different. If you want the whole system, you can switch yours to this one and have a brand new system. You have the right evaperator, so the dash doesn't need to come apart and I have all of the hoses and all. Just a thought.

Mike

Mine is a dealer nstall system. I've only seen a few of them. It goes outboard of the alternator whereas yours is inboard of the alternator. I am not sure of the manufacturer, but I know it is different. If you want the whole system, you can switch yours to this one and have a brand new system. You have the right evaperator, so the dash doesn't need to come apart and I have all of the hoses and all. Just a thought.

Mike

Thanks anyway, but I'll replace like with like. So mine is a factory installation?

Subarule

One thought:

The sensor mounted right in front if the compressor, check the wires. My dad's 88 had the compressor freezing up, and it turns out those wires had got cut somehow. That sensor is to prevent compressor lock-up at low engine speed (ie. idle). If it is not functioning, your compressor won't turn very well at low speeds, if at all. I'm sure the shop would've checked, but I know it can be easy to overlook some of the simplest problems.

And yes, yours is factory.

One thought:

The sensor mounted right in front if the compressor, check the wires. My dad's 88 had the compressor freezing up, and it turns out those wires had got cut somehow. That sensor is to prevent compressor lock-up at low engine speed (ie. idle). If it is not functioning, your compressor won't turn very well at low speeds, if at all. I'm sure the shop would've checked, but I know it can be easy to overlook some of the simplest problems.

And yes, yours is factory.

I appreciate the input. I'm sure the shop checked out the electrical after the refrigerant was, trying to figure out why it wasn't working. That's all they do, electrical and HVAC, on anything that runs on an engine. They've been here forever.

The original factory install of the HVAC ran great for 23-24 years. Can't expect them to last forever so I don't mind starting over, so to speak.

I've found a good, respected, reliable, inexpensive (relaltively speaking) source for a compressor. Now all I have to do is figure out what brand mine is before ordering a replacement.