Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gotta vent! Thought I had a good 2.2 today.

My ej25D in my 99 Leggy Outack took a dive a few weeks ago. I'm done messing with it and started looking for a good ej22 to drop in. A parts yard about an hour from me showed that they one. I called and specified that it had to be an AUTOMATIC car. They had a 95 with 84,000 miles for $450 w/ no core. I gave her my CC.

I had 1/2 a day off work today and drove out to get the engine after calling to make sure it wold be ready and again verifing a 95 EJ22 from an automatic Legacy. (re-curring theme)

I got to the yard and was told to back up to the gate. After waiting 10 minutes one of the ladies came out and told me that they hadn't pulled the engine yet, appalogized, and said they were starting then. No biggie. I told her "no problem" and waited paitently. After an hour they came out with a very nice looking engine w/ a clutch and PP and no EGR.

Then the owners sons that run the place go involved. They told me that there was no differance because their computer showed none. Then they got pissed told the cashier to refund my money and spent the next few minutes flying off the handle and insulting me while they had a room full of customers waiting. It was the wierdest thing I've ever seen! The cashiers were appalogizing to me, the guys that pulled the parts were appalogizing to me.

I got my refund and left. SO, never go to Case Used Parts in Marion, SC. they are idiots!

And if anyone has a nice EJ22 lying around, let me know!

Thanks for reading my rant!

Anthony

Afterbang, is the head drilled for the EGR on the manual ? I have the EGR on the 99 2.5, but everything I've read said it has to be from an automatic car for a straight swap w/ no check engine light.

This yard had the right engine, they just refused to pull it after pulling the wrong one.

Thanks

Thanks

no the head is not drilled, the casting is there but it is solid, not drilled.

you are correct, for it to be a straight swap, you need an engine from an auto trans car.

call the yard and explain to the sales agent what happened. see if they will knock 100$ off for having to make a second trip. (and suffer / witness the abuse.)

sounds like the owner's son is a real a$$. try to work the deal and not involve him.

a mistake was made when they pulled the engine. but what a dummy, he lost the sale by not pulling the right one and he lost a customer by not being half way decent. and maybe he lost other customers too.

Edited by johnceggleston

John,

If I could go that route I would without hesitation. There was no resoning with these guys and they (3 sons) run the yard. There is no going around them. There are a few more EJ22's showing up on car-part.com. None with that kind of mileage though.

The kicker is that the mileage I was quoted was from a auto car. Who knows what was on the one they pulled. I don't trust them.

I have a few more cars to drive and am not desperate, so no wories. I have next friday off and hope to find another engine.

Anthony

John,

h these guys and they (3 sons) run the yard. There is no going around them. There are a few more EJ22's showing up on car-part.com. None with that kind of mileage though.

Anthony

Frankly, I wouldn't trust claimed odometer readings without some back up documentation (either seeing the odometer in the car the engine is being pulled from, running a car fax on the VIN associated with the engine, etc.) Mileage (within reason) also isn't a particularly good predictor of condition anyway. I'd take an EJ22 with 200K and regular oil changes over something with 75k that had not had regular oil changes... look at the dipstick and see if it looks varnished, look at the condition of the car it came out of (rear end accident damage is ideal, as you know the car was at least running when it was bashed, but there's no risk of damage to the timing components due to the accident.)

I had a yard pull something similar on me- I specifically asked for a engine from an automatic donor car and they swore up and down that the engines were interchangable and went so far to argue "why should there be a difference?" I explained that the emissions certification process, the lower drivetrain losses of a stick probably allowed it squeak by EPA specs for NOx emissions w/o an EGR valve, but nooo.... Fortunately, the only engine they had was from an automatic. My dad has a '95 Legacy with 5MT and no egr so I knew firsthand the info I had read here about the difference was correct.

Good luck in your hunt.

Nathan

i had a friend pick up a matching fender while he was traveling a long ways away. they gave him the wrong side. fortunately the yard was really nice to work with and was able to get it to another yard where i could swap it relatively close by (an hour and i happened to be headed that way for something else). would have been a real pain if they hadn't been cool about it and tried to work it out.

That's really cool that they were willing to work with you, Gary. I've run into a number of places that are cool to work with and others that are just rife with douche-baggery. The problem is that you don't know which one you're dealing with until it is too late.

you can get an ej22 that is for a manual. you just need to install the flex plate from your old engine in place of the flywheel. however you will need the egr valve but hopefully that helps a bit in widening your search!

Yeah, this is incorrect information. You need the EGR valve, Intake manifold, solenoid, hoses, pressure transducer+ bracket and the stainless pipe, then mabey you can drill the head and tap it for the pipe. At that point, you might as well have put head gaskets in the 2.5 you're taking out.

Since this thread has somewhat evolved into a "scummy salvage yard stories, etc." thread, hopefully it's OK to tell my story that ended up with a great ending that wouldn't have happened if the scummy salvage yard hadn't screwed me over.

I was trying to accumulate enough of this kind of alloy wheel to have pretty nice ones on both my 96 Impreza and 95 Impreza:

DSC01397.jpg

I had pulled together enough for one car, and was still short by 2 in good enough condition for the other car. So I found a salvage yard about 50 miles away that listed on car-part.com that they had 7 of this wheel. I figured the odds were pretty good I could find two that would be nice enough. I even called ahead to say "I have to drive 50 miles to get to you - do you really have these wheels?" and was assured that they did.

When I got there, they could only come up with two, one in completely horrible shape, and one that was better but still well below what I was looking for. To make a long story short, I had to keep up the search, and ended up asking at a local Subaru-oriented service shop that sometimes had used Subie parts that they'd sell. It turned out that they had a full set of 4 of these that had never even had tires mounted and had been gathering dust in the upstairs storage room. They sold me the set of four for $100.

So the scummy salvage yard actually did me a favor in the long run.

Here are the cars (still need to get some nice lug nuts):

DSC01390.jpg

DSC01387.jpg