Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is this? 1975 Subaru Leone .... GSR?

Subaru I hope to buy:

The rear wing/tube bumper are kinda funky, the guy applied lots of bondo to smooth the wing out, but never got around to sanding it...

001.jpg

Same with the fender flares, they were to be frenched in, but look very OEM fitment under the bondo *one flare doesn't have bondo and it looks very nice*

002.jpg

The hood only has a few small dings

003.jpg

The interior and other things not bolted on all seem to be in the car

004.jpg

Lots more bondo.. MAN that wing looks OEM

005.jpg

Some sort of strange equilizer from a time when 8 tracks were "Ace! To the max!!"

006.jpg

This isn't exactly it, but it's the closest I could find online...

Subaru-Leone_1972_800x600_wallpaper_01.jpg

What I've found out...

Guy bought it in the early 80s/late 70s for $100 because it had no engine/trans. His g/f rolled his nearly new GL-10 Wagon. He then swapped his mechanicals into the car.

1. Has a funky lil wing (appears very OEM)...

2. It's a manual... (5spd, Full 1.8L Swap and Dual Range gearbox from a later GL.)

3. It WAS a 1600/1400cc engine and was FWD.

4. Here's the VIN A22L-926353

5. Has a funky half-assed vinyl roof and Brat flip up sunroof venty-things.

6. Has the same style steel-spoke triangle cut out subaru brat wheels...

7. Originally a CA car, hasn't been driven since the early 80's

8. Tube front and rear bumpers

9. Complete CAR! (Was just taken apart for paint/bodywork almost 25 years ago...)

*only big-ish problem* is that the guy had licensed it last in CA and since then, he cannot find the title... I was wondering how hard is it to apply for a lost title FOR missouri or does he have to mail something to CA?

I'm thinking it'd need a full restoration, but it's rust free, just a bunch of half-assed body work.

Any advice or info is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Legacy RallyGuy

leave the ea82 turbo as it is, or with mild mods, or chuck it and get an ej22, but don't break the trans.

sweet and interesting find, though!

in wisconsin, one can procure a title with a bill of sale.

Yeah, the ea82's parts are cheap! for the most part and it's a simple engine...

Wisconsin you say... That is close to Missouri, but Hmm, but would I have to live there?

Its a 1974 Coupe - or was. That rear spoiler thing is custom made from a late 80's/early 90's RS or RX tail piece. Pretty cool in thought , probably would have been fun to fart around in back in the early 80's (before he found the rear "wing") if he completed it.

If you need parts for it I'm your man. :)

If it has a working AM/FM or better - with cassette - that's a pain to find. Judging from that instrument mounted on the dash the radio is probably long gone.

Have fun!

Its a 1974 Coupe - or was. That rear spoiler thing is custom made from a late 80's/early 90's RS or RX tail piece. Pretty cool in thought , probably would have been fun to fart around in back in the early 80's (before he found the rear "wing") if he completed it.

If you need parts for it I'm your man. :)

If it has a working AM/FM or better - with cassette - that's a pain to find. Judging from that instrument mounted on the dash the radio is probably long gone.

Have fun!

I believe it's still there, but like in the back seat... It has all of it's parts minus the original driveline, plus most of the parts from the AWD 1.8L Donar car. I might need a few odds and ends, but I need to sort out the sale of one of my other projects... Because I want to restore this, but finish up the wing/flares... I like the look really, but I want it to look factory, not all bondo'ed-in.

Ya, thats a ground-up project for sure.. A LOT of work. The fenders are cool, as is the spoiler, but they're custom jobs so who knows what they did.

I'd say this is a good candidate for an EJ turbo swap. Put on some nice meaty tires, and have yourself a super-fast car.

The height of the side glass and roof suggest this is a 2 door sedan rather than a coupe.

Still, could be a good project.

You're right , I thought about that after I posted. Pop out rear windows.

Several of us have that trunk lid if you need a fresh one. I've also got a lot of really good used parts that would help.

An EA82 fit in there without hacking up the framerails? Might want to take a closer look at that before buying.

I dont think they were hacked, the engine isn't even in the car at the moment, it's on a shelf, all rebuilt and the engine bay is quite clean. perhaps the guy rebuilt em with factory appearances... Dunno, but the car is structurally very smooth and I've yet to find rust that's not from someone buffing off paint, and that's just surface rust! The floorboards are even pristine under it!

The height of the side glass and roof suggest this is a 2 door sedan rather than a coupe.

Still, could be a good project.

Hmm, good point, and strange that I never considered there being a two door "sedan" I always considered a sedan defined by a car having four doors! And yes, looks way fun! It's scary how complete the car is...

You're right , I thought about that after I posted. Pop out rear windows.

Several of us have that trunk lid if you need a fresh one. I've also got a lot of really good used parts that would help.

I might not need one, I think I can strip the bondo off... *crosses fingers* Though I might take ya up on some of those parts after acquisition! It seems that he had two different wheel sizes on it, but tires of the same height... It looks weird. the four wheels match in style but one set is a 13" set from the GL and one set from a brat, the GL being rolled that gave up it's guts for this, only had two good wheels he explained.

Cool, another early GL/DL getting fixed up. This one should be nice with the flares and rear spoiler. Post up lots of pics of the progress, might get me motavated to finish mine!:lol:

Mark

What is funny is that I like this car, the more and more I research this thing... And I'm a person that once I get my hands on something, I can really dive into it and knock out lots of progress... My cars are not front burner right now, this kitchen for my friend is... but if a certain person buys my mustang, I'm going to be all over this subaru! And you guys shall see some massive progress!

I do like how they did the boot lid spoiler. looks good :)

Me too! I totally thought it was OEM! It fits very well, but I dislike the bondo "frenching" in the thing... Even the fender flares fit like OEM fiberglass, so it's quite interesting! I think that I'll keep the flares and spoiler, not so sure about the pop up sunroofs though... I salvaged the roof skins off a few cars, so I've plenty of sheet metal, in case I dislike them enough :P

• 4 months later...

A bit of a bump for this thread... I've done some work on my other two projects..

04' STi with GT30R swap *running, but now need A/C and power windows fixed*

91' N/A AWD Legacy *offroad build, needs exhaust and some tuning*

I think I've a buyer for my 69' Mustang project that never got off the ground, so it'll clear something major off my plate and then I can start on another Scooby... I'm wondering though, where would be a good direction to take this...

I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on these:

Vintage rally car replica: fun/dirty/dings are okay

Drift car - throwback: I know a 2400lb AE86 drifts (120HP) so a 1700lb Leone with an EJ22E swapped RWD conversion should slide well..

Either way, I'm still chomping at the bit... epsecially knowing there's a roof skin available for the car, somewhere in the great American SouthEast in a semi trailer... as well as two very nice looking vintage aluminum wheels... The little barn find is tempting me so...

And yes, I've just spent two hours reading EJ wire swap threads :) the OBDI and OBDII also..

input is very welcome

Edited by Legacy RallyGuy

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I bought IT!

I finally got him to allow me to purchase it!!! And I handed him the dough.

*what I found out...

It's a 1976...

The driveline is from a 79' GL Wagon... Dual Range 4spd manual and electronic ignition upgrade!

Even has some NOS bumper and the fender/trunk fiberglass pieces ARE factory installed, but he "had a wild hair and put lots of bondo on things" and this car has a BAJA 250 and BAJA 500 history... He used to work the track back in the day along side drivers like Parnelli Jones and Bob Gordon!!!!

Very cool history with this car huh! He even has a box full of finishing slips that he collected from early races.

I dont believe this car is in good enough shape to to a full restoration, and the availability of parts isn't great, so I'm going to sit back, plan, remove all the bondo and search for rust...

I pick up the car from the barn, where it's been since 1981 on Thursday... Something tells me this car will share more secrets when I tidy it up and go through it. I hope they're good secrets too!