Ultimate Subaru Message Board

(Mis)Information from dealer "open house"?

We recently bought an '08 Outback to add to our Subaru family, and received an invite to a dealer "orientation" open house. I figured the free food and free oil change coupon made it worth attending, plus I might learn something too. Some of the information presented seemed dubious though, so I wanted to run these past y'all to get your take on it.

1) No mention of disabling AWD when using the donut spare tire.

I figured maybe that had changed on the newest models, so after the presentation I asked not one but two service people there. Both told me not to worry, on my '08 there was no way to disable the AWD for spare tire usage nor was it necessary. My owner's manual clearly contradicts this. EDIT: Its a 4EAT.

2) Octane - Service manager claims he gets +5 mpg higher by using mid grade octane rather than 85.

I don't question that running too low octane fuel on a turbo or higher compression engine is bad, but for our N/A 2.5's I've run 85 for years and when I've tried higher there is no difference except a lighter wallet. Note that we are in SLC, UT at 4300' and the available options are typically 85, 88 and 91. When we have driven to lower elevations (which is rare) we of course run 87.

3) Oil change at 1000 miles.

My wife didn't drive her '03 Impreza much over the winter, something like 1000 miles in seven months. The service manager suggested the oil and detergents have broken down from the time sitting in the engine and oil pan and suggested she get the oil changed. I think it's too soon to worry about it.

There were some other things that made me scratch my head a bit (don't get me started on Nitrogen filled tires) but these were the bigger ones, at least to me. Anyone care to comment on these topics? Thanks!

Edited by outback_97

I share your opinion on all issues:

1.) I don't own an 08 model to know, however, if your car has the fuse holder to disable AWD, and your owner's manual advises to disable AWD when using the spare donut, then it seems like a no brainer.........use the fuse when needed to temp disable the AWD.

I seem to remember that with a flat and using the spare donut, you are suppose to put the spare donut on the rear axle only, even though you may have had a flat on the front. This in effect makes for two tire changes, should you have a flat on the front. I have never had to do this. I carry a tire pump that plugs into the cig lighter for power. If I spot a tire going down, I pump the tire up, and head for a tire shop for a tire repair. This is always easier then changing a tire.

2.) If 85 octane works for you, then keep using it. Your engine knock sensor is designed to retard timing if need be to protect the engine should you encounter spark ping. In past cars, higher octane gas gave me marginally better millage, maybe 1 or 2 extra mpg.......but nothing like an extra 5 mpg.

3.) Oil change at 1K miles........not really necessary in my opinion, but I think I would change the oil and filter at least once a year to feel like I am keeping the engine good and clean.

Like you, I feel like the Sub dealer people gave you some unusual answers. I have the feeling there are some dealer service people that patrol this website, who may give you better advise. Let's see what they have to say!!

3) Oil change at 1000 miles.

My wife didn't drive her '03 Impreza much over the winter, something like 1000 miles in seven months. The service manager suggested the oil and detergents have broken down from the time sitting in the engine and oil pan and suggested she get the oil changed. I think it's too soon to worry about it.

Time is just as harmful to oil as mileage, and oil break down in cold conditions can be just as harmful as hot conditions. When oil is cold, parts of it will collect and form into waxes that will stick to the engine. The waxes attract acids and collect moisture, the beginning stages of the creation of sludge. Once sludge formation starts, it won't just go away. I'd change it ASAP with a high detergent synthetic blend or full synthetic oil. If you don't plan to drive much during the colder months, change the oil before putting the car away for the winter.

I would pay attention to what the owners manual has to say about spare tire usage. The service advisors may just be trying to get you to come back with torque bind in a few years after a flat tire or three has damaged the transfer unit in the transmission. :rolleyes:

If everybody got 5 more mpg when running mid grade, don't you think everyone would do it?

Thanks for the helpful responses. The ones that were most baffling to me were the first two, the AWD fuse has been around forever and if you're going to make up numbers on MPG improvements, at least make them plausible.

I realize that oil change frequency is a topic that gets people going because there's lot of opinions. Since my wife asked the service guy when we were there and he told her it should probably be done, it'll get done sooner rather than later. She's certainly not going to listen to me :lol:

Since my wife asked the service guy when we were there and he told her it should probably be done, it'll get done sooner rather than later. She's certainly not going to listen to me :lol:

Your wife must be related to mine. Like yours.....my wife would want the oil changed sooner rather than later, and be on my back to get it done.

i would say at least every 6 months, they recommend 3 months, but meh. I have never done it. If I let a car sit for more than a month, I change the oil before driving it though to keep it fresh and protected. my engines are worth more than a $30 oil change.

I have changed my oil every 3 months like clockwork since mile #8 on my 166k mile 2001 RS.

Fluids need to be changed - especially if the car sits for extended periods of time and is not driven. Cars do not like to sit. Fluids tend to break down when this happens - as was previously stated.

That's one thing I could not compromise on.

Your wife is right on this one, sorry!

Your wife is right on this one, sorry!

No problem, I'm used to it... she usually is right!

As it stands right now, I plan to disregard their advice about the AWD fuse and the higher octane, and get the oil changed in my wife's car. Thanks for the feedback!