Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lifted shocks

Uberoo

For an 8" lifted creature what did you do for rear shocks?On my 8" lifted EA81 I was trying to fit some ford explorer shocks that a friend gave me.Then I test fitted them to my car.They have the correct lenght but they would only have 2" of down travel before they would bottom out.seems like that would kill alot of the cars ability offroad.So what did you all use for shocks on your lifted beasts, did you find a junkyard part,order some new ones, or just space the shock away from the body?

eventually I would like to run hybrid stretchy axles but for now I could just run limiting straps so I don't over extend the axles.

Thanks in advance.

also what is a good shock size to run with stretchy axles, at least as far as travel goes?

Edited by Uberoo

basic math.then pound the pavement like everyone else.

can you do ANYTHING yourself?

jeff extended his with tubing, Jarod used extensions as well if i remember correctly......

all of this info is here.or not . which means you have to figure it out.

do you know what ride height you want?have you figured out max compression?etc...

do the math, like everyone else.

its a little but not all that much.. i run the ea82 cups on ea81 shafts. best thing is to stay stock, just move the mounts down. as monstaru stated, as i have and many others have done, do the research, and then do a trial and error process. i usually only ask a question if im really stuck and cant find the answer im looking for...