Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 outback hesitation off idle

I'm still waiting on my knock sensor (today or tomorrow) So that's what the CEL is in the video..

Anyways I've noticed for the past 4 days or so the car has been really iffy when leaving from lights, from idle to about 1800-2000 rpms.. At first I thought it was me and trying to get used to the hydo clutch but I got curious and when at a light and in neutral I went WOT and I heard it stumble, and a little and a what sounded like a car running rich by the pop sound from the exhaust.

I don't notice this when leaving for work in the morning but more after it warms up. If it's anyone's guess the oxygen sensor looks stock.. I'm going to put my oscilloscope on it to see if I can see if it's really lagged or not.

at around 44 secs here you can hear the exhaust pop

I think part of your hesitation is due to the bad knock sensor. When mine went bad, I experienced a noticeable loss of power and acceleration, though I don't remember hearing any popping or back fire noise. Install a new knock sensor, and see how it runs.

How long has it been since new spark plugs have been installed in your ride? Could also be spark plug wire problem too.

Does reading your CEL code(s) reveal bad knock sensor only? Any chance other code(s) are there too?

• 4 weeks later...