Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have some squeaking/rubbing noise coming from all four wheels. I once thought it was bearings, then I thought it was the parking brake. Upon further inspection (wheel/caliper/rotor removal) I realize that the brake shield (not sure if this is the correct term... it is the sheet metal disc behind rotor) has corroded to the point where it is very lightly chafing the outer edge of the rotor.

1. Has anyone experienced this?

2. I plan on very lightly grinding/sanding off the oxidation... is there any reason I should not attempt this?

99 OBW w 180k miles

PArts do rust, and eventually disintegrate, in the rust belt at least.

It would be worht your effort to pull the brake hardware off and clean up the rust, re-paint, ad then anti-seize all the bolts and silicone grease the caliper slides and rubber boots.

Even if your brakes are not due for replacement yet, you will thank yourself that the parts come off easily.

Otherwise, with a new car, going all the way till the pads are gone, can be long enough for bolts to seize and caliper slides to get stuck.

Its a good rule to take something apart and put it back together, just so you can take it apart when its time for replacement

cleaning them up sounds like a great idea. you can also gently bend them out of the way, you only need a 1/4" or so. you have to be careful though as bending the top sort of tends to bend the bottom/sides, warp it some - so gbend gently you only need a small amount.

if it's really bad it's only a matter of time before it starts falling apart, has holes, etc. went to the dealer a week or so ago and they had some backing plates on the counter, no doubt for the same reason.

it is a good idea but i wouldn't disassemble, if the rust is bad yo'ure going to have stubborn bolts, some will likely shear off, etc. i'd just leave them at this point if the rust is bad.

Thanks for the speedy replies. I will try removing some of the corrosion with the next brake job.

Fortunately, I have changed the pads and rotors in the past few years, so none of the bolts are too seized. The two (17mm?) that hold on the caliper were a huge pain the first time I tried... a huge pain.

I just recently had the same trouble on my 99 OBW. I simply pulled off the road wheels, and using a large flat blade screwdriver, I pried back the dust or dirt shield away from the rotor. The shield metal is easily bendable, so that is why it gets bent in the first place. Mine got bent when I installed new rotors, and then later, when I had a shop install a new half shaft.