Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thinking of painting my car, opinions please

I painted my 68 gmc truck rustoleum 'almond' color, as the home depot carries a lot of specialty rustoleums. I used the roll-on technique, and had a matching spray can for tight areas.

For durability, i recommend the roll on with 2 coats, easy to apply, less prep and masking. sand the whole car down with scotch brite pads just enough to take the gloss out before painting.

i say go with almond for your 'beige' color. this would look better with a black bottom than green, in my opinion.

there is a product called 'body schutz' by 3m, and maybe permatex that i would recommend to paint the lower part of your doors. Its like a undercoating that is paintable. It is the same stuff sprayed on the rockers and front valence from the factory before the topcoat, if you notice a texture on the rocker sills(as i observe on all ea82 suabrus)

This would be easier to apply and probably stick better then bed liner, less cost for materials

Thanks for the info Miles, have been thinking about roll vs spray so good to know. Now I gotta see if I can find a OD Green as the Hunter is too light and beige is also the color I'm painting one of my BRATs and don't necessarily want two beige rides :rolleyes:. I do agree on the beige and black looking good and that's what the BRAT will be, I think.

As for the body schutz, I might try that instead of the bed liner as the texture sounds better and not able to hold dirt as easily. I will be keeping it two tone though.