Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 lug rx swap post?

CHIM

You are going to have to hybrid the trans mounts to fit. The rear part is too wide. You can swap the rx mounts and have 2 mount sets.

I just took pictures of my xt6 swap with the trans mount, you can see it here once i upload the pics: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=119353&highlight=runabout

That's only on pre '87 EA82s. The later ones had a wider trans tunnel (for the 4EAT), which makes the XT6 MT crossmembers a bolt-in

thaT Makes sense. my body is a fwd 1986. In my case, i could have just used the fwd trans mount by itself without the hybrid

This is why I'm getting rid of my early '87 body for a '89 RX body. I have a modified crossmember that I built to make it fit using the XT6 front section, EJ center section and a FWD auto crossmember that has been modified to bolt in.

The tranny crossmember for your peticular setup will be the following:

XT6 front and rear sections

EJ center section

Also, you'll need to shorten the EA82 driveline to make it work with the EJ transmission. I think its having the front section shortened like 2" but its been a couple years since I had mine done so I don't remember. I had mine done at Drivelines NW for $63 but they didn't balance it as the u-joints have some flat spots in them and they didn't want to replace them for me:rolleyes:

Well, after bringing home a whole legacy for 300 bucks, and a motor for 200, desmond conceded and decided to sell me back my xt6, so that is what i am using, the xt6 trans. I do know someone who has a modified driveshaft and xmember for an ej trans(xt dude) , but i would have to give the money to numbchux, as this is where it came from

I shortened mine myself It actually wasnt too hard. IT has held fine so far. I believe I had to cut 1.5inch or so out of the front part of the shaft that was before the carrier. I drew a paint line down it to make sure I got it lined back up exactly as before.and made sure to make as straight of a cut as possible. welded it back up with my mig welder. has worked great so far. no vibrations up to 120mph ha ha.

so, 4.11 LSD, anyone done it yet? im assuming it's no different than the 3.90 LSD swap over but i have found assumptions get me into trouble.

yep. Had one in my XT6 for some time last winter. From what I've seen, the EJ diff cases have the nub that makes it almost impossible to get the clutch-type carrier in there. A couple minutes with a grinder and it slipped right in.

I had a driveline shop take 2" out of the front half of the shaft and balance it. It cost $100 fit perfect. I took that measurement based on the differences in length between the XT6 center diff housing and EJ housing (measured to the end of the output shaft, not just the dust sheild).