Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What will happen if I change from 185/70/14 wheels and tires to 205/70/15?

I have a 1998 Legacy wagon with the stock alloy 14 wheels and the standard 185/70/14 tires. Someone has for sale a set of Subaru alloy wheels (5 lug 100mm pattern) that are 15 inch with 205/70/15 tires mounted on the wheels.

I'd like the approximately one inch more ground clearance that would come with this swap, I know the speedometer will read slow after the swap, and there would be a slight loss in acceleration because of the taller tires, but is there anything else I should think or worry about?

Nothing wrong with switching to 15" wheels, just those tires are too tall.

I tried putting outback wheels/tires on my 96 legacy and they didn't really fit well. Rubbed bad on turning, etc.

They work for the outback because that's lifted from the factory.

your speedometer will probably be *more* accurate with larger tires. they usually read low from the factory anyway, so a small increase usually pushes you closer to reality.

my friend had stock WRX wheels/tires on his 1997 Legacy L, i would think they should fit fine on a legacy wagon.

my 1997 Legacy LSi sits really low to the ground, i've never seen a legacy with less clearance around the tire (that had good struts :lol:) it came with 15's and 16's fit on it just fine.

if it's a stock subaru size tire i'd be surprised if it didn't fit.

Edited by grossgary

search is your friend, watch this: there's a guy running those 205/70/15's in this thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81017

16" stock subaru *tires* are slightly bigger, but i still stand corrected, i thought he was referring to stock subaru sized 15" tires and didn't notice the numbers.

i assumed subaru wheels came off a stock subaru vehicle? i know that's crazy. :lol: can you ask the previous owner what vehicle it came off of?

tire size calculator:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html