Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front end Clunking sound going over Bumps 2005 OB

Going over medium sized bumbs get a clunking sound from both sides of front end. Can get sound from either side independently.

Had sound before and after replacing struts and stut mounts.

Thought about Ball joints but not sure. Thought about Sway bars but not sure. Any suggestions?

Check the front lower control arm rear bushings. They are notorious for cracking / tearing or ripping completely out. Mine are almost completely torn out. I will NOT be using the factory part. Upgrading to a urethane bushing set will cure.that problem and make the car steer better.

How many miles are on your OB?

If the lower arm bushing is just slightly cracked and torn but not completely it is probably nnot the source of the noise. Mine are quite substantially torn and ripped but not completely and are quiet but sloppy. At 72,000 miles on my OBXT, my upper strut mounts are still quiet. Usually you can determine if the upper mounts are bad by jacking up the car unloading the struts and prying up on the tire or pushing up on the tire and feeling for any vertical movement in the strut mount bearing. There shouldn't be any at all.

Also check for a loose disc brake caliper mounting bolt or caliper frame bolt. I had a caliper frame bolt come loose and it sounded just like a bad upper strut mount. Only made noise over medium rough surfaces. Bad inner tie rod ends can make the same noise too.