Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey, it's been a while, USMB!

So my clutch finally bit it and I'm here to ask about flywheels.

To start things off, I drive a 1995 Legacy Outback, 5 speed. I plan on replacing the clutch with this-

http://www.amazon.com/EXEDY-15010-OEM-Replacement-Clutch/dp/B001B5E5XQ/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Model=Legacy|64&n=15684181&s=automotive&Make=Subaru|13&Year=1995|1995&newCar=1&carId=001

Now, what should I do about the flywheel? Is getting the flywheel (which is original) resurfaced enough, or should I buy a new one? If new, which is the closest to OEM I can find?

I'm not a big fan as cutting/resurfacing subaru flywheels.

Make sure you replace the throwout bearing clips.

100% agree and I'll tell you why :-\

Once upon a time I had a flywheel resurfaced.

It was off spec by less then 2mm... which caused of course -

everything to go out of balance

Meaning.

Tore car apart - Installed clutch, put car back together

Started car, entire car shaking like crazy

Tear car apart again, to uninstall flywheel

Go buy a new flywheel and reinstall <---which is what I should have done in the first place

To me? Not ever worth the risk. I learned my lesson.

Any reputable machine shop should balance the flywheel after surfacing it.

If they'd done that, you'd have been fine.

well... who do you think I took the flywheel to. :rolleyes: duh....

A reputable machine shop

And they ended up paying for my new flywheel due to their mistake.

Again.... I can only speak from experience and my experiences with resurfacing have not gone well at all.

Never. Again.

To be honest, reasons like Gal's experience are why I even asked. I'm sort of reluctant to get my flywheel resurfaced after almost 190,000 miles. I am, however, terrified about the cost of a new OEM or OE standard one. But I don't know what the price would actually be, I've only seen what look to be garbage flywheels for a decent chunk of change.

Wow. Never realized how many crappy machine shops are apparently out there.

The head GG has done was outright embarrassing. I have 2 machine shops I use for heads - never a problem.

My local auto parts cuts my flywheel's and back when it made sense rotors never with an issue. Including many Subaru flywheels.

I often say I go out of my way to support tradesmen like my local radiator shop. A lot of tradesmen places have already fallen by the wayside like shoe repairmen, TV repairmen, decent bakeries are dropping like flies with the mega marts, decent old time hardware stores are having difficulties competing with the big box guys on commodity items. All these small businesses have a level of customer service a chain will never have. And a level of investment an employee will never have. I don't believe we're better off without them no matter how much cheap Chinese stuff Walmart inports while advertising "customer service". How many times have you thought about a positive customer service while waiting to check out at Walmart or finding someone who actually knows about an item they carry?

If you're literally afraid to have it resurfaced just buff it up with a scotch brite wheel this is what most folks seem to do including the dealer. Sure wish more folks had decent local macine shops.

I always go out of my way to find local shops, old timers, etc.

There's a guy who rebuilds starters and alternators near me. He does great work.

Completely overhauled my legacy's alt for $40. New bearings, brushes, etc. And the thing works like new.

Best part about guys like that is talking to them, hearing all the stories. If you're not careful you can spend hours in such a shop just looking around and talking.

I always go out of my way to find local shops, old timers, etc.

There's a guy who rebuilds starters and alternators near me. He does great work.

Completely overhauled my legacy's alt for $40. New bearings, brushes, etc. And the thing works like new.

Best part about guys like that is talking to them, hearing all the stories. If you're not careful you can spend hours in such a shop just looking around and talking.

I LOVE my local guy. Apparently likes beer more than teeth! But he's retireing also. I took him astarter from a 73 VW Beetle last week. Heck - I don't even need it, it'll end up on the shelf. But I'd prefer to have anything he's redone over a questionable rebuild or some generic brand new. I've had him redo almost all the generators and starters on my antique cars. In the case of the antiques always pro-actively.

That reminds me, it's done and needs picked up.

But another person/service I'll miss greatly.

I often say I go out of my way to support tradesmen like my local radiator shop. A lot of tradesmen places have already fallen by the wayside like shoe repairmen, TV repairmen, decent bakeries are dropping like flies with the mega marts, decent old time hardware stores are having difficulties competing with the big box guys on commodity items. All these small businesses have a level of customer service a chain will never have. And a level of investment an employee will never have. I don't believe we're better off without them no matter how much cheap Chinese stuff Walmart inports while advertising "customer service". How many times have you thought about a positive customer service while waiting to check out at Walmart or finding someone who actually knows about an item they carry?

Amen Brother! Well said. :)

A new OE Subaru flywheel from an online dealer runs about $230. If your local dealer will match online pricing (many will in order to get your business) you can probably get it for that or very close. If not, it'll be ~$325.

Look here if you're interested in aftermarket. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

5 from $55.00 to $75.00, plus shipping.

Doug

Not what he asked, but Rockauto does carry some good parts. Shipping is a bear, but you can get many parts that a local chain store often doesn't have or even carry, and some of the same parts for quite a bit less $$.

Of the flywheels offered by Rockauto, AC Delco is overpriced but generally high quality. Sachs makes OE suspension and clutch parts for many European makers. Sachs parts are good quality. The rest, I have no clue.

I've use a scotcbrite wheel in a die grider to break the glaze on the surface before on quicky clutch jobs I've done. If I'm doing it propper, then I take the flywheel to a shop and get it resurfaced.

If they're at all competent, they grind the friction surface and the step the pressure plate mounts to so that it matches the original brand new spec. It's the same machining process the flywheels go under when built brand new, so if it's done right it's just as good.

Anyone that's had problems with a resurfaced flywheel had a bad machinist.

Oh yeah, phase 1 EJ25's have heavier flywheels than the EJ22's. That helps starting torque and makes it harder to stall. It conversely makes the engine less free-revving. So depending on how you drive you can choose different weight flywheels.

Edited by WoodsWagon

Are those of OEM quality?

I don't know. I doubt if you'd get junk with the Delco. But, look here:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GENUINE-SUBARU-IMPREZA-LEGACY-FLYWHEEL-OEM-12310AA092-/170534465541?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27b4a57005

Or perhaps here:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUBARU-LEGACY-IMPREZA-2-2-L-FLYWHEEL-NEW-/120720757307?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c1b84923b

Doug

Edited by Quidam

Oh yeah, phase 1 EJ25's have heavier flywheels than the EJ22's. That helps starting torque and makes it harder to stall. It conversely makes the engine less free-revving. So depending on how you drive you can choose different weight flywheels.

Stalling isn't an issue for me, I'd rather have a more free-revving car. In fact, I was sort of wondering if there are any lightened flywheels out there that may work. I had no idea the two were interchangeable, so thanks for the tip!

I don't know. I doubt if you'd get junk with the Delco. But, look here:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GENUINE-SUBARU-IMPREZA-LEGACY-FLYWHEEL-OEM-12310AA092-/170534465541?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27b4a57005

Or perhaps here:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUBARU-LEGACY-IMPREZA-2-2-L-FLYWHEEL-NEW-/120720757307?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c1b84923b

Woah :eek:

I've been looking for this for a while now, thanks!!!

Doug

Any API GL-5 spec gear oil. 80w-90. 75w-90.

75w-140 works great for high heat/high power applications, but the cost is generally overkill for a daily driver.

Which weight would you recommend the most?