Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Valve Cover Gasket - oem or aftermarket?

Hi all,

i have a manual 2000 imp. outback sport with the 2.2 engine that just turned 160k miles.

its had oil leaking into the spark plug wells and i finally have some money to get working.

i noticed advance auto has all the grommets, the 2 valve cover gaskets and the 4 spark plug sleeves for about 50 dollars whereas the dealership wants 86....

anyone have any suggestions as to whether i should buy the oem ones ore the aftermarket ones will suffice? Thanks!

online dealers are roughly 20% cheaper than local, so that will bring it down to about $60 for OEM.

i haven't noticed a huge difference in valve cover gaskets, but other seals/gaskets are higher quality from Subaru often times. valve cover gaskets are easy enough to replace and i haven't seen enough difference yet to sway me positively towards subaru.

Yep, Felpros are good (they actually make some of the OEM gaskets for Subaru), they're also pretty darn cheap on RockAuto.com.

My experience with felpro is there are oem parts for specific non-cardboard/cork gaskets. Go with the best price, since the part is ultimately coming from the same manufacturer