Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ok, camshaft siezed up

*OLD*

so, as some people may know i have a 1988 Subaru GL-10 station wagon with the EA82 turbo. the clacking finally stopped, but only because the lifter that was clacking finally collapsed and the little rocker thingy fell off. so, now i know for sure which one was clacking, but its not on the side i thought it was on. i kept digging and digging on the passenger side of the engine cause i swear to god that was the side that was clacking. i even took off the oil filler cap and it got louder. well, the clacking was actually coming from the drivers side of the engine.

so, heres how it went. after trying a clack-stopping trick a USMB member told me try (blow air through all the oil passages on the cam carrier) my friend and i put it all back together and decided on a test drive. well, we get to the highway and while doing about 60 mph in 5th gear (everything normal) i all of a sudden hear a very distinct sound come from my side of the car. (sounded like a rock hitting the underside) then nothing. didnt notice a power loss right away cause i was coming up on a turn and had actually shifted into neutral right after the sound. then my friend and i decide to randomly stop and check for oil leaks right quick. after noticing none i went to take off, noticed a pretty good lack of power, and instantly said, "oh shi*, one of lifters collapsed and the rocker fell off." i knew what it was right away cause i had almost all of you guys warning me about this if i dont find the clacking lifter soon enough. well, it happened. so, here i go to take about the hard-to-work-on side of the engine. wish me luck. i really need it.

*OLD*

this is from last night. what actually happened is posted down lower.

Edited by soobie_newbie67

clicking HLA's rarely end up failing like that. that's just weird, i've never seen that happen before....never heard of it happening either.

my guess is that your HLA failed...and caused the clicking.

i doubt the clicking caused the HLA.

anyway - yeah the drivers side does suck.

mizpah engineering rebuilds them or sells you newly rebuilt ones for $3-$7 each, might be worth replacing/rebuilding them all for such a low cost like that.

good luck

*THIS*

ok, here's the real story. i was tired last night from working all day on my car and i was making assumptions on what happened. what really happened was the right side cam shaft seized up, which in turn sheered off the cam sprocket bolts and ruined the sprocket. the clicking only stopped cause nothing on the right side was spinning. well, that tells me there is nothing wrong with the left side of the engine.

ok, here's some things i want to point out to help people more clearly try to understand and help me out. i have used the special little dealer-attained o-rings that go in the cam carriers. i have replaced all the HLA's on the right side of the engine. i have taken an air compressor and blew out every single oil passage on the cam carrier.

some things that i think might have been mistakes. i accidentally left out one of the cam carrier alignment keys that helps you but the cam carrier onto the head. (didnt think it would be a problem cause i doubt it has anything to do with oil flow) and i used an air compressor to blow out the passage that feeds the oil to the camshaft and lifters. i think that might be where i caused a problem. i didnt want to do it but my grandpa told me too.

*THIS*

hey GD, if your out there, i deserve an "I told you so" from you. you warned me about all the BS that comes from an EA82, and i refused to listen.

crack, that sucks.

while they are pretty poor motors on a lot of levels - EA82's can be reliable high mileage engines though completely gutless, *if* you get them up to date on hoses, gaskets, maintenance etc. that's just really hard to do on 20 year old worthless motors. many have been abused and few folks want to put the money/time into the gaskets, seals, etc to keep them from overheating/running out of oil. the vehicles EA82's come in are completely worthless around my parts (not quite the case where you live), but that means peopel don't care to put a dime more of maintenance into them than they have too either.

crack, that sucks.

while they are pretty poor motors on a lot of levels - EA82's can be reliable high mileage engines though completely gutless, *if* you get them up to date on hoses, gaskets, maintenance etc. that's just really hard to do on 20 year old worthless motors. many have been abused and few folks want to put the money/time into the gaskets, seals, etc to keep them from overheating/running out of oil. the vehicles EA82's come in are completely worthless around my parts (not quite the case where you live), but that means peopel don't care to put a dime more of maintenance into them than they have too either.

well, here's my situation with the car. i have completely and fully rebuilt the engine and replaced everything. bearings, rings, gaskets, seals. plus, i got into some legal trouble while driving this car so it cost me about 3000 dollars in attorney fees and 2000 dollars in restitution and court costs. so yeah, getting rid of the car is out of the question. i would really like to get a hold of a EJ22, but now i dont have the have the money, and im pretty damn sure someone isnt willing to throw the engine and wiring harness my way. so yeah. im pretty royally ************ed.

plus, i found out the crank isnt seized. my buddy and i overlooked the cam sprocket bolts. they werent tightened all the way, so they just got bashed around by the cam sprocket till they sheered off. my buddy and i got it all put back together and running, but now it acts like its missing a cylinder.

now i ask this question. is the EA82 a interference engine or not? i find it funny cause we ran a compression check and got 1. 130 2. 120 3. 130 4. 130

cylinder number 2 is only off by 10. would that make any difference? is that why its running rough?

definitely not an interference engine.

those compression numbers are low, but relative to each other they are all in check. usually get 140-155 for an average motor. but that can vary if you don't prop the throttle open, have a weak battery, etc.

i've kind of lost track what this engine has been through and what has actually happened to it. it currently runs and drives?

timing belts and mechanical timing is all good?

electrical timing is set?

you have spark and each injector is firing?

YOu may just be a tooth off on the driver side cam. Easy enough to do when getting the last of the belt on.

make sure the plug wires are routed correctly.

pressurizing the oil system with air may pop out one of the HLA's from their buckets

YOu may just be a tooth off on the driver side cam. Easy enough to do when getting the last of the belt on.

make sure the plug wires are routed correctly.

pressurizing the oil system with air may pop out one of the HLA's from their buckets

so hey. about those buckets. i noticed something funny. one of them is pushed in. like, the other "buckets" (if thats what they are called) stick out a little bit, and one of them is kinda pushed in and flush with the surface of the head, which also is letting the HLA sit further in than it should. could this be causing my clacking cause the HLA cant push the rocker fully against the cam?

Maybe they are coming out? The last head gasket i did, the hla buckets were all flush, except one. I tried to tap it in . got it mostly in, but i also boogered up the edge, and had to file on it to fit the hla back in.

one bucket wouldn't cause all 4 cylinders to show 20-30 psi less than normal.

is this one bucket associated with the one cylinder that has lower psi compression?

i'd be more concerned about all the cylinders having 120-130 psi compression, but that does sound strange.

i guess it's all back together and you can't post a picture? that's a new one on me if those can move.

one bucket wouldn't cause all 4 cylinders to show 20-30 psi less than normal.

is this one bucket associated with the one cylinder that has lower psi compression?

i'd be more concerned about all the cylinders having 120-130 psi compression, but that does sound strange.

i guess it's all back together and you can't post a picture? that's a new one on me if those can move.

friken A, i've taken a bunch of pics too, but left that one out. all the crap i've done to this car im actually compiling for my end of the year school project, and im pretty sure my teacher would have wanted to see that.

was that the cylinder snowing the lower psi readin

you're not concerned with the 130 psi instead of 140 or 150?

ok, i had the firing order wrong on my last post. it went like this:

1. 120

2. 130

3. 130

4. 130

the number 1 cylinder was the low one, but not by much. and the reason i wasnt worried about it was cause the engine has loads of powers, and i dont have air blowing out of the crankcase, so my rings are fine. i had the valves lapped in so that wouldnt be a problem.