Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hooking up dual electric fans

so im trying to hook up dual electric cooling fans. i have a 12 inch fan and im also using the electric one thats already on there. i was wondering what would be a good power source for setting it up to where the fans run all the time.

also, i was wondering if it might at all be possible to somehow hook up to the A/C circuit to where the cooling fans come on every time the A/C compressor comes on.

or i might later on just buy an aftermarket adjustable temp sensing switch.

Did the car have AC and electric fans from the factory? If so, why could you not wire them into the existing harness?

If it didnt have electric fans originally, a temp probe is what you want. No matter how it is switched though, be sure to use a relay.

Did the car have AC and electric fans from the factory? If so, why could you not wire them into the existing harness?

If it didnt have electric fans originally, a temp probe is what you want. No matter how it is switched though, be sure to use a relay.

will do. thanks for the tip. yes, it does have factory A/C, and yes, it does have one electric cooling fan on it. but its one of those fans that only turns on when the engine reaches a curtain temperature, or if the A/C head pressure gets too high.

hook the fan up where it goes to. Unplug the thermoswitch from the radiator and jumper the wires. Fan will be on with key. make a switch, and you can override the thermoswitch, and the fan will come on if you forget to turn it on, and turn off with the key if you forget to turn it off.

non working fans will be the thermoswitch, even i there is some hollbilly ig wire install to replace what would be a working curcuit

I have my second fan on a manual switch, I'll only turn it on in stop & go traffic in the summer, most likely.

You could use a fuse tap-off on the AC fuse, which is right next to the spare tire, passenger side, to run a relay. I pulled this fuse so my AC doesn't turn on when I use the defrost in the winter...

by the sounds of it, maybe i should just hook up the fan directly up to the battery and have a switch for it in the car. after hearing the responses, thats kinda the idea i get, by what dannyt says. i have done this for a Ford Aerostar i have that has a bad clutch fan, and it works alright. i was just wanting to see if there was a way to hook up the fan on a circuit that will turn it on on its own.

I would disconnect the wires from the coolant temperature sensor and jump the wires and see if the fan comes on. The corrosion was really thick on mine, and that's what kept it from working.

There should be power to the fan, and power to the coolant sensor, then to ground. The CTS is the switch for the relay that grounds the fan. If one of those circuits has a bad connection, your fan won't work. Disconnect all of them and clean/test/replace as necessary.

I'm wiring my main fan in parallel to the secondary, tapping my hot side by splicing from the secondary, preferably before the fan. The main fan will run when the key is turned forward, and the secondary will kick on by temperature as normal. Just use a low profile, low amperage fan.

I would disconnect the wires from the coolant temperature sensor and jump the wires and see if the fan comes on. The corrosion was really thick on mine, and that's what kept it from working.

There should be power to the fan, and power to the coolant sensor, then to ground. The CTS is the switch for the relay that grounds the fan. If one of those circuits has a bad connection, your fan won't work. Disconnect all of them and clean/test/replace as necessary.

I'm wiring my main fan in parallel to the secondary, tapping my hot side by splicing from the secondary, preferably before the fan. The main fan will run when the key is turned forward, and the secondary will kick on by temperature as normal. Just use a low profile, low amperage fan.

the factory fan switch works. its just that it doesnt activate until the engines reaches around 215 to 220 degrees. i would like them to come on earlier then that. i will probably leave the factory electric fan hooked up to its circuit as is, and do what i mentioned earlier; hook my aftermarket fan up with its own circuit and have a fan switch for it inside the car so i can turn it on when i want it on.

you can simply tap into your working curcuit and have a switch to override the sensor, so you can turn it on at will. if you forget, it will come on anyway. just don't forget to turn it off, but it should turn off with the key.

ok, so i got the fan hooked up, made the circuit, tested it out, everything works perfectly, so i go to the field test. i fire engine, and with the hood open, hold my hand on the upper hose waiting for the T-stat to open, when it did, i went to reach in my car and flip the switch to turn the fan. i forgot the window was up and smacked my head on my window so hard i almost fell down. i also crack my knuckles on the window cause i was going to reach in with my hand too. i have a headache now. but the fan is installed and works great. :grin:

Edited by soobie_newbie67

This is how I have my three thermo fans hooked up. They go well and I'm happy with how it all works. I have used one relay per fan as I plan to have individual switches for each fan so that I can have one or two on when the ignition is on (summer time) and the others on auto.

Off position is for deep water crossings.

wiringdiagramthermofanw.jpg

Cheers

Bennie