Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Should i buy this? these?

well, seeing as it was run low on oil, a number of things could have happened. the bearings could have seized (which is usually what happens first) or the piston rings could be melted to the cylinder walls. another possible thing is the seized camshafts (not too likey though) if your lucky, the main bearings might have seized up first. 300 dollars is a ************ing steal, if it werent for the fact that you want it, i would buy it right now seeing as i live in washington. you might get lucky and find out what i mentioned, even then if the mains seized first, you might be just looking at a new crank, but at the same time, im wondering what the condition of the connecting rods is, hopefully unbent, just bearings seized. any number of things can happen.

well, seeing as it was run low on oil, a number of things could have happened. the bearings could have seized (which is usually what happens first) or the piston rings could be melted to the cylinder walls. another possible thing is the seized camshafts (not too likey though) if your lucky, the main bearings might have seized up first. 300 dollars is a ************ing steal, if it werent for the fact that you want it, i would buy it right now seeing as i live in washington. you might get lucky and find out what i mentioned, even then if the mains seized first, you might be just looking at a new crank, but at the same time, im wondering what the condition of the connecting rods is, hopefully unbent, just bearings seized. any number of things can happen.

should i buy both and see if i can re-sell the trans for $300?

the motor is worth 300 as a runner, but low oil, you may as well find the next one with a blown HG or broken timing belt. Offer him 100 bucks, and that is not a lowball, considering he is trying to sell an oil starved engine in the most saturated market for these things.

I got a comlete runner with spare parts for 200.

The trans is worth a flip, but if you dont sell it, you are out of money whle sitting on a trans you cant sell, and a motor that is no good.

Hold out, because as soon as you drop the coin on this, something better AND cheaper will turn up

for 300 you could source a complete donor car

move on, there's nothing compelling about that deal at all.

here's one in WA for $350:

800-551-4489 / 360-262-3550

and another for $275:

1-360-446-7800

and another with "oil in water" - probably headgaskets for $100:

1-800-876-4711

You'd be better off with that one than the low oil circus.

just keep waiting, something good will come along. be patient.