Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone use a car MD code reader? I've seen it advertised on TV, but undecided if it is worth the money. I assume it will work on Subies? Cost seems to be around $150+ including shipping and handling.

From the commercials it's very overpriced.

Just get an ODB2 reader for 50 bucks on Ebay or watch they go on sale at Advanced auto parts.

After you get the code (which most chain places will read for free anyways) and have internet access you're set. If a Subaru search here for the P code. Otherwise just google the code.

You just saved yoursefl a bunch of money and will have better/more detailed information including how other folks have corrected the problem.

a cheap one might be a good fit if you do much car work at all. i do a lot for myself, friends, family....having a high priced, or computer adapted code reader would suck for me. a $30-$50 one that i can use and abuse for a few years is perfect for me.

the last one i got off ebay was like $50, the one i got before that was a little cheaper *and* told you what the code meant.

some just tell you the code: if that's the case just print them all out and have them handy, there's tons of info on line for that.

some tell you the code number and what it is - like the first one i have. not sure why i couldn't find another cheap one this time around that told you what the code means but it hasn't been a big deal.

Or you can buy a 10 dollar OBD to USB cable from dealextreme and hook it up to a laptop using freeSSM to read/clear codes or Romraider to monitor and store live data from the ecu.

It works on my subaru select (non-OBD) european impreza