Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Introduction and brat question

Hello, I'm relatively new here. Regarding myself, I currently live in Albuquerque, but have lived in NC, Colorado Springs, Ohio, Utah, and Phoenix in the past. I've been subaru-less for a couple of years now (1999 Impreza RS with JDM swap, 02 WRX before that), but I'm eyeing an 81 brat for spare car duty, poor weather duty, off-road duty, gravel-hauling duty, and rally-x duty. The one I'm looking at is in less-than-perfect condition. It's not a rust bucket, although it has a few spots that need to be cleaned up. I'm wondering how hard it is to find spare brat parts in good condition, like bumpers, fenders, dashboard, etc?

Thanks,

Lachlan

Well you found the right place. Lots of people here might have spare parts. Ive found everything I needed for my 79 Brat. Sometimes things take a while but between here, ebay and craigslist you can find what you need.. Good luck. and if you decide to get the 81 brat, please post pics... We like pics here or at least i do:lol:

Well you found the right place. Lots of people here might have spare parts. Ive found everything I needed for my 79 Brat. Sometimes things take a while but between here, ebay and craigslist you can find what you need.. Good luck. and if you decide to get the 81 brat, please post pics... We like pics here or at least i do:lol:

Thanks for the welcome! It's all but a done deal now, just have to find a way to get it home soon. Just checking--'81 was the first year with a dual-speed transfer case, right? So it could be FWD, 4Hi, and 4Lo?

That's right. Good luck with it!

You have what I consider the most desrirable Gen I Subaru - Brat anyways.

Toss up between that and a Coupe for top dog overall vintage Subaru for me. :) But in general the Brat is most known and therefore most desired by the masses. And the '81 is one of a kind!

• 3 weeks later...

Here she is in all her glory!

IMG_20110531_184409.jpg

IMG_20110531_184419.jpg

IMG_20110531_184437.jpg

IMG_20110531_184503.jpg

IMG_20110531_184520.jpg

Obviously she needs a little...love. Love like new fenders, new bumper, new dash, new paint, etc. All in good time. Problem number one though is getting her to start. Some lummox installed a push-button start system on it. When I picked it up, the starter would crank, but the engine wouldn't start. When I got it home, the starter won't even turn (via the button that is; the screwdriver method works just fine). If someone could post a pic or a diagram of the original ignition wiring under the dash, I would very much appreciate it.

Not too shabby....:lol: She looks pretty solid and very restorable. I think I have a drivers side front turn signal lense with the chrome cover for you. Ill have to check first but if you want it let me know.... Love that color too....

When you replace those fenders you'll notice that Subaru used a foam-rubber strip under the fender that soaked up water and caused the rust on the tops near the hood.

All parts I see in need are certainly availilble thru one of us or even some you might get lucky with at an old dealer being out west. But if you go there and they don't even know what you have - there's always us. :) Depending on how serious of a restoration you want it to be you can get new fenders , etc. from me or probably "drivesubies" too. He had a huge amount of new old stock.

Thanks!

I got her to crank last night, but still not starting. Apparently there were TWO momentary switches I needed to hold. The cap and rotor look new, so I don't think it's a spark problem. I can't hear the fuel pump whir when I turn her on, so I think it may be the fuel pump, VR, or alternator.

Edited by Lachlan

HI there, nice project:), don't judge to harshly on the push button start deal these beasties are known for giving fits to the owners with the original ignition switches, like at the bank driveup when you start it and every time you let the key snap back to on it backfires loudly and dies:eek:, 3 or 4 of those and you feel like crawling under the seat:(. Some brand new really expensive cars now have push button starts.? Anyhow have fun restoring it, nice to see another one in the fix, good day to all.............G

Looks like no spark. Changed the coil, changed the coil-to-cap wire, still no spark. Checked the voltage across the coil while cranking, getting 0V.

Best way to check if the ignition module/pickup coil are good? I don't want to buy a $110 part if I don't have to :( . There's about 700 Ohms resistance between one of the leads and the plate on the bottom. Is that a bad sign? Also, noticed the magnet is broken. Is that a show-stopper?

Edited by Lachlan

Hmmm, changed the ignition control module--still no spark, and no voltage at the coil. What am I missing here?

OK, so, funny story. I take out the two ignition fuses, examine them, and find nothing wrong. I put them back in, turn the car on and notice something different-- the warning lights come on, and I realized that wasn't happening before. Well, I give it a go, and she starts!

Ok well it's running, but it goes about as fast as a tractor.

Edited by Lachlan