Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New 1980 GL lil' wagon owner in 'Spokanistan' WA

Hello everyone,

Just bought a little red GL wagon. It's a 1.6 hitachi carbed E71 4 speed 4wd bag of cuteness...(that's why the GF bought it).

Anyway, I'll be working on her (The Suby) and getting her running smoothly. She's in need of some body work and there's carb/dizzy issues I'm fixing right now. But she's a fun little car with a lot of character.

I look forward to learning a lot from everyone on here.

Cheers,

CC

Welcome to the home of subaru nuts on the interwebs :)

Sounds like you picked up that little red GL that had been haunting me on CL :-p

I visit pull and save fairly often and will probably see you in there every once in a while.

Look for the weird white kid getting excited about old Subaru wagons :D

I inhabit the other side of the border as well and, well, you can tell where I live by the little info box in the corner of my posts, or my profile :)

Twitch

@Girlwithlegacy I was hoping to get to the pull and save Friday morning about 8:30...that place is littered with E82 engines...there's a Gl out there with a Burberry looking interior...too cool...but beyond salvaging.

@92-rugby-suby. Yup, I need, I want to put a weber on this lil' bad girl. Rebuilding the hitachi will have to suffice though.

@Twitch, if you do what I did on Monday which is run back and forth comparing mirrors, door panels, carb's, dizzys, etc all the while pushing a barrow full of tools and looking like you needed to pee reallly bad then I'm there with you in excited suby wagon salvage land.

Thank you for the welcome everybody.

@Girlwithlegacy I was hoping to get to the pull and save Friday morning about 8:30...that place is littered with E82 engines...there's a Gl out there with a Burberry looking interior...too cool...but beyond salvaging.

@Twitch, if you do what I did on Monday which is run back and forth comparing mirrors, door panels, carb's, dizzys, etc all the while pushing a barrow full of tools and looking like you needed to pee reallly bad then I'm there with you in excited suby wagon salvage land.

Thank you for the welcome everybody.

Yes it is! I do believe there's more out there than I've seen before... or at least in a long time! Didn't notice the GL but I also didn't have much time to browse before they closed yesterday. And I wish I'd had my car there so I could run back and forth!!! :( haha. Alas - I shall soon. Good luck in the yard today!

I don't run back and forth.

I just stand there and freak out over EA71's and EA81's.

Esp if they don't belong there.

My passion is EA81's and older.

Never have liked the EA82's and I just drive EJ's when mine is running :-p

What rig are you usually driving when you hit P&S?

I'm usually in my 85' BRAT, white with "sport" pinstriping.

Oh! And if you want seats, the EA81 Wagon I pulled the slant console out of had some sweet, brown front seats.

Twitch

He or she will get named after she/he has been driven a little bit.

Right now I'm thinking Ruby, coz she's a Suby and red...lame I know.

The times I've gone to pull and pick or whatever it's called hasn't been in the Suby yet. But now I've got her running well I'll drive her down so I can compare Dizzys and intakes and stuff.

I'd get pictures up for you all but I don't have any attachment options...it even says at the bottom

"Posting Rules

You may post new threads

You may post replies

You may not post attachments

You may edit your posts"

So I think I'm not special enough to get them posted yet or something...anyone want to post them up for me?

Twitch...I was wondering what to do about the cracked dash that wouldn't involve replacing it and just saw an old muscle car with shagpile on the dash so maybe just glue and fabric...hopefully the whole interior won't get it...

Girl with a L, I didn't get to the yard, too busy working on her before work and then after work but it paid off because she's running and driveable now.

Going to get there on Monday though now...need to get bits including an E81 dizzy as a priority...whatever the PO put in here is rusted internally and the wires are all a mess.

If you wanna send the pics to me at - Rugby_boy101(at)yahoo(dot)com Ill post them up, but you CAN do it yourself...

Get a photobucket account. Upload them there

To the right of the picture you should see this:

Photobucketinstructions.jpg

Copy the IMG code (circled in red) and then paste it into a reply box, message, comment, etc and shabam, theres your pics. Try to resize your pics to 640X480 (scroll over the pic til you see the resize box) that way your pics dont take up 3 pages for 1 photo haha.

let me know if you need any more assistance with them.

Also. Your link, when pasted into the message should look like this - (link location here)

5subybackshot.jpg

8subyfrontshot.jpg

7subysideshot.jpg

Thanks Rugby.

I polished up the hood and front fender just to get an idea how the paint would look when I get her painted. There's no rescuing the body work with polish though.

There she is :-)

Edited by classicchic
add text

Awwww, it's cute :)

I always have loved those little EA81 wagons.

I'm not complaining about getting more locals.

It's cool that we can get more people around here, so if we decide to make a massive P&S run we can attack something and take it down in a matter of a few hours.

Such as an engine removal.

With more than 2 people, I bet we could get it apart in a matter of 3 hours or less.

Esp if all the people know what they're doing :D

Twitch

:slobber: I love it. :) I've been thinking a lot lately that we should get some sort of Spokane/Cda area subie meet going. perhaps I'll start a thread on it?

Back to topic... :-p Do you have a thread on this car yet? We do love pictures, so if you post pics of everything you do to it, people will be very pleased. :rolleyes:

Awwww, it's cute :)

If we decide to make a massive P&S run we can attack something and take it down in a matter of a few hours.

Such as an engine removal.

With more than 2 people, I bet we could get it apart in a matter of 3 hours or less.

Esp if all the people know what they're doing :D

Twitch

It should only take 30 minutes tops to get an EA81 out. Crap it only takes me 1 hour or so to get an EJ out for crying loud.

I was at PNS today, there are about 4 EA 81's...slim pikins' compared to last week... there were about 10 EA81's and about 10 82's.

But I still came home with a ton of goodies, non the less.

I'm down for a meet, go ahead Girl... and start the thread.

I'm hitting PnS tomorrow morning, again, for sure now I've got a few days free from work and school.

I'd really like to be involved in an engine/trans swap on someone's car before tackling one on my lil' suby. I have to get her to daily driver safety standards asap but after that I'd like to think about dropping a better motor in her. For $135 from PnS why not?

Spokane is the place to be:lol: there's an '81 Celcia on CL right now...ooohhhhh I want her too.

I've got Mon/Tues/Weds to work some more on her and get everything feeling right so I'm going to be hitting PnS a lot. I'll try and post pic's of what I do.

Mugs, I was there last week and saw a lot of Suby's too...tomorrow it's just an E81 Dizzy I need..just one!!!

It's cool there's so many of us in the local area. Any of you need help wrenching something let me know.

I'm down for a meet, go ahead Girl... and start the thread.

Lol, I beat her to it!

Check out the meet and greet for the "Poor Man Run" :D

As for EA81 shortage, yeah, they were kinda slim pickings when I was there.

Jeeps were abundant though (my dad was hunting those down :-\ )

Lol, last time I tried to help pull and engine from P&S it took a total of like 10 hours of work to figure out she couldn't afford it :rolleyes:

Twitch