Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have been reading this forum for a few years now. Thought I would regester and log on.

I am the proud owner of an 04' FXT and an 87 GL10 sedan.

Currently rebuilding the EA82T.

I have a question for you guys already. What size is the block plug that blocks access to the piston wrist pins? 9/16? how hard should this be to remove? my book says " you may need to use a hammer" LOL!

because I am tearing this down to the last bolt and want to rebuild it to last more then 80K. What kinda of suggestion do you all have on the build up of the motor.

I am purchasing a rebuild kit from RPM machine. (good kit? yes/no)

will be adding a FMIC 2.5", DP 2.5" and no cats all the way. (blocking egr too)

I have a lot more questions. :horse:

Motor tear down becuase I killed the rings in piston 4. Re-routing the oil feed lines and dump lines... from the oil pump (via oil cooler adptr) thru the oil cooler to a tee that leads to the turbo then from the trubo to the pan. (good idea? yes/no) I am un-easy about it because I don't know what issues I will have pulling from the oil cooler and returning it to the pan instead of dumping it back into the oil cooler adptr.

I guess that is enough questions for now.

Dan or Dave at Delta cams gave me a push to log in... blame him for all these questiosn. :grin:

I would think to put the oil coming out of the turbo through the cooler so you dont have hot oil soaking heat back into the engine.

I also had the idea of using a heater core to make a cooler for the water return on the turbo.

the wrist pin plugs take a 14mm. a 9/16 may be a hair too big to fit nicely and get a good grab.

I recomment a big breaker bar or an impact if the motor is out of the car, and to not make them he-man tight when going back together.

The best thing yo can do for your ea82 engine is good cooling system, fresh hoses, non-corroded radiator, and do not overboost past stock parameters.

I would think to put the oil coming out of the turbo through the cooler so you dont have hot oil soaking heat back into the engine.

I also had the idea of using a heater core to make a cooler for the water return on the turbo.

the wrist pin plugs take a 14mm. a 9/16 may be a hair too big to fit nicely and get a good grab.

I recomment a big breaker bar or an impact if the motor is out of the car, and to not make them he-man tight when going back together.

The best thing yo can do for your ea82 engine is good cooling system, fresh hoses, non-corroded radiator, and do not overboost past stock parameters.

Thank you for the info. Picked up a 14mm socket/allen today at lunch.

Do you think there is enough pressure to push the oil from the engine thru the oil feed line then thru the OC then back to the pan?

I have the original radiator - Just cleaned it up and flushed it good. Do you think I need a better one? I did put an overside electric fan on it then ditched the belt driven one.

No extra boost at all? :(

As long as the radiator is not green corroded and has loose fins, you should be ok. If its the original unit, it will be a 2 row radiator.

The problem with boosting is, the engine manage ment cannot keep up with fuel richness. What will happen is the #3 cylinder will burn lean and melt the piston or rings. It is not recommended, unless you really know your stuff, and even then, the ea82t is very particular to what you do to it. Basically, it is very limited. the flow of the heads is the biggest compromise.

However, since the car is turbo, the engine crossmember will allow room for an ej22t or even a wrx 2.0 engine.

Even swapping in an n/a ej22 engine wuill give you 20 more hp by itself.

If you do your reading here on this forum, you can search ea82t with what people have done with them. Some folks can get a good performing ea82 setup, but they have blown up so many of them to get the recipe right.

Welcome aboard, reefstick. Looks like you're already getting great input.

But guys wouldn't it be better to put this discussion in the appropriate technical forum and not in the Welcome Center? It'd be a lot more accessible to others over there too. :-\

Welcome aboard, reefstick. Looks like you're already getting great input.

But guys wouldn't it be better to put this discussion in the appropriate technical forum and not in the Welcome Center? It'd be a lot more accessible to others over there too. :-\

^Agreed.

Welcome! Glad ya finally joined! Its a wonderful kind of family we've got here. :D And like your typical car, there's more nuts here than you'll find in a cake. :rolleyes: