Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hooking up a scan tool

at my school we have a Snap On brand scan tool and i have been trying to use it to read the codes off my 1988 Subaru GL-10. the tool tells me what cables to use and where to hook up to (one of those plugs thats under the hood) but for some reason the scan tool isnt getting a connection. could any of the testing plugs that are under the drivers dash be it? do i have to connect those the get the scan tool to read? this is driving me nuts. help please.

oh yeah. i do the have key on when hooked up. the scan tool goes the please wait screen and just stays there.

Why? Just look at the flashing light to get the codes.

because, i need to the code history. my CEL isnt on atm, but comes on once in while while going down the highway, and sometimes tends to flash when i first start the car and then it goes away. and the light on the ECU isnt doing anything out of the ordinary, cept the regular flashing when the key is on, then goes away after starting the car.

Edited by soobie_newbie67

Hey I am also in a tech college and have tried to use all sorts scan tools to read OBD I subarus. Modis, Solus, Genisys, Snap-On Bricks, on GLs, DLs, Loyales and Legacies. I tried em all

It aint gonna happen. sorry bud.

The best way is to have the CEL flash at you, Which it was doing when you start the car. Record those flashes, as that is the code