Ultimate Subaru Message Board

odd pull in the steering...not alignment related i dont think

Ive had this car aligned two-three different times by different places and they all say the alignment is dead on. If i turn left (90 degree left) onto an on-ramp then the car pulls to the left pretty hard driving at highway speeds. If i pull right onto the highway (right turn 90 degrees) it tracks pretty close to straight if not perfectly straight.

I just got new tires mounted and balanced and dont want to rip them all to shreds with this issue. Anyone got any ideas? I have a few ideas and i might just do them all if no one can push me in one direction. My thoughts are

Lower control arm bushings (inner fronts)

Outer tie rods (grease the crap out of them or replace)

Strut top assemblies (replace or grease)

yea, sounds like something's not returning to center after the left turns. I don't think I can narrow down your list at all....in fact I'd add steering rack bushings to it.....

Thats one that i hadnt thought of and also one that makes a bit more sense than all the others. I think that will be first on my list of things to try.

Strut top assemblies (replace or grease)

These can bind, the bearing will stick, so the spring twists as you turn the wheel. That will preload the strut to turn back one way or the other. Usually they'll pop loose every now and then and you'll hear a "bong" type noise from the front.

Only other thing is the strut rod bushings, but they usually cause pulling when you accelrate or brake.