Ultimate Subaru Message Board

speedo gear seized?

i own a 1984 subaru brat and i have checked the actual speedometer and the cable and those are good i have also put it on jack stands and even sat under the hood while the car was driving and speed shaft in the tranny doesn't turn. can't seem to remove it? do i need a new tranny. i also can't trun it any type of pliers and all data and haynes manual says nothing about this problem.

does the 5 speed have the dual range 4x4

Yes, '85 to '88 GL models (maybe others since I'm not the expert of that) often came with a 5MT dual range transmission. I felt that the '88 version was the best since it might have the least miles on it. Check out bratsrus1; he makes an upgrade kit and did my swap on our '84.

need help. i bought a 5 speed manual transmission that has the low range and everything and it came off a 1986-1988 Subaru 2 door car its not the just and i think it is the xt model. Any way the 4 wheel drive linkage is in a different place. did i just waste $150 i'm clueless on this because the instructions on the forum said to "just hook up the 4 wheel drive linkage". Please help !!!!!!!!!

what are some fixes for the gear selector bushings. (the bushings in the universal joint looking thing)

Thanx!!!:)