Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bar's stop leak, radiators (and a bleeder plug)...

Hi,

I have a 96 Outback automatic with what apparently is some kind of 3rd party radiator. The dealership parts guy swore up and down that they never installed that kind of radiator in a Subaru before. It has a bleeder plug with a square head...does anybody else have a radiator with an protruding bleeder plug with a square head ('protruding' meaning that when 'screwed in' the head protrudes rather than evenly recessed in the socket) ?

Also...the plastic core housing got a nice long vertical crack which started leaking...I put in a small bottle of Bar's stop leak (the gross brown 'tobacco juice' stuff) and lo and behold...it plugged the leak alright.

So far so good...I'm just concerned that that additive might jam up the water pump....I'll post an update to report if it really is going to keep the 'finger in the dyke'. :grin:

--Damien

Actually it's the heater core and other parts you should worry about, the WP and thermostatares easy. Depending on what exact kind of sealer it is you should bypass the heater core in any car.

On Subaru's I just fix the real problem.

Actually it's the heater core and other parts you should worry about, the WP and thermostatares easy. Depending on what exact kind of sealer it is you should bypass the heater core in any car.

On Subaru's I just fix the real problem.

Same thought as above. The passage ways in the heater core are smaller then in the radiator, so they are prone to plug up. You may get lucky, and find the heater still puts out heat. If your radiator leaks again, don't recommend adding more Barr's. Barr's is an old product that has been around forever. I have used it successfully to stop a heater core leak that was misting up the inside car windows, and making the interior smell of antifreeze. On an old car, that was a lot easier fix then replacing the heater core.

Back years ago, I had a 91 Subie Legacy that developed head gasket trouble. It over heated and caused the radiator to leak. I had a radiator shop install an after market unit. It had the square headed plug like you described. It worked just fine. It lacked the OEM cap or cover that the original had, that covered the top length of the radiator.

That's vehicle's got too many miles on it already for further repairs...tranny's got serious case of 'torque bunch', anyway...I think's it's headed to the boneyard soon.

It'll be interesting to see what that Bar's stuff'll do...:-)

Over and out,

Damien

Was the Bar's leak stop not exactly the same as the 'subaru' coolant additive?

And should therefore not give any problems I would say.

The reason for the additive was to pass the magic warranty range on the 2.5 before the HG would leak badly. (or am i wrong?)

so I've heard....the Bar's stuff was the same stuff the dealership put in those that developed the radiator leak (not the major HG one).

Looks just like tobacco juice in one of them spittoons (oddly enough)... :-)

--Damien

That's vehicle's got too many miles on it already for further repairs...tranny's got serious case of 'torque bunch', anyway...I think's it's headed to the boneyard soon.

It'll be interesting to see what that Bar's stuff'll do...:-)

Over and out,

Damien

I agree with you using Barr's, when a car is on its last legs. The cheap fix was the way to go. If you are like me, when a car reaches a certain point of age, high miles, and close to being worn out, it is not financially justifiable to drop much money into it. At that point, I consider the car a "town car," meaning drive only around town, staying close to home. No out of town trips, that a break down would leave you really stranded.

• 2 months later...

Got that same leak. Going to buy the rad. Anyways because I'm on my way back in the middle of a 1000 mile run with family. I'll be covered but will try to get home with Barr's.

That square head plug is correct. You backfill the rad. That way or you'll overheat. I'm very surprised nobody told you that.

Got that same leak. Going to buy the rad. Anyways because I'm on my way back in the middle of a 1000 mile run with family. I'll be covered but will try to get home with Barr's.

That square head plug is correct. You backfill the rad. That way or you'll overheat. I'm very surprised nobody told you that.

you might consider leaving the rad cap or vent plug loose to reduce the pressure on the system and hopefully help the barrs plug the leak.

this may cause the water to boil out and adding water daily, if not more often, may be required.

good luck getting home.