Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is it possible to override disabled cruise with CEL on?

Hello,

I have a 2005 Subaru Legacy NA and the CEL is coming on due to PO420. I have searched the boards and see that it is likely a sensor but don't have time to get to that before we head out of town on a road trip. That being said, we are leaving on a road trip and I would rather have the cruise working to keep my heavy foot from getting me a ticket. So, is there a way to override disabled cruise control with the CEL on?

Many thanks!

Fos all the time you are putting into this, why not just replace the bad O2 sensor, and no you can not over ride it. It si TRYING to catch your attention and protect the cat and keep emissions good

Replace the O2 sensor

• Like 1

Fos all the time you are putting into this, why not just replace the bad O2 sensor, and no you can not over ride it. It si TRYING to catch your attention and protect the cat and keep emissions good

Replace the O2 sensor

I echo this. Your gas mileage is going to *seriously* suffer. If you are going on a road trip you certainly want to have the exhaust system in fine working order. Go to a dealer and get an OE sensor then find someone to replace it for you for a lot less than the dealer.

i didn't even know that a p0420 CEL would override the cruise function. is this for real?

yes, any CEL stored on the 2005+ disables cruise. Its a safety function when you think about it. Soon, they wlll make thinkgs when the CEL comes on, it disables radio, blue tooth, wireless etc, so you are forced to being the car in for service.

• Like 1