Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can I drive with the AC compressor removed?

I removed my AC compressor this afternoon due to the fact that it's making a high pitch squeak noise and it no longer blows cold air. I am waiting for the local dealer to get one in stock. In the meantime, can I drive with the AC hoses disconnected? They are not obstructing anything.

Removing the compressor wasn't the easiest. I had to remove one of the metal fuel lines going into an injector in order to gain access to the compressor bracket mount.

Thanks.

bstone,

Yes, you can drive the car with the compressor removed. The only concern would be if the drive belt for the AC compressor also ran your power steering, water pump or fan. If not, you're good to go.

The belt for the compressor only turns the compressor. Power steering and the alternator is the other belt. I removed the AC belt.

It is a good idea to leave the system sealed if it's going to be repaired. At least cover the open lines with gut off glove fingers and zip ties to keep dirt and excess moisture out of the system.

That's a really good idea. I'll do that in the morning. I haven't driven anywhere, only fired up the engine to make sure the squeaking noise had gone away.

Been driving my sedan for almost a month with no AC belt.

Do seal up the ends of the hoses though.

What was so hard about removing the compressor? Just remove the 4 long bolts from the side and it lifts straight up.

Wasn't that hard but one of the bolts was hard to get to and I had to remove a metal fuel line out of the way. Once I did that then it wasn't too hard. I should have used a swivel socket but didn't remember I had one. Oops.

I am on my way to a boneyard to pick up a used but good compressor.

How do I install it? I hear about having to put oil in it, but what sort of oil and where? Leaving in a few minutes and back in an hour or so. Thanks, folks!

Just add a can of refrigerant with oil when refilling them system.

Or you can pour about an ounce of the oil called for on the AC service information sticker under the hood directly into the low pressure side port, then spin the compressor hub a few times by hand to cycle the oil through the compressor.

So many people lately having issues removing the compressor. ??

Anyway, you should also replace the gaskets on the lines that go into the compressor. Since the system is discharged, it would also be a good time to replace the schrader valves, I've had them leak in both my Legacys.

If you don't know how to charge an AC system, or have the proper gauges, you should really take it to a shop. It can be dangerous if done wrong. At least read up on how to do it.

Growl.

The new (used, from boneyard) compressor is bad. Clutch sputters and barely turns. Growl.

I am returning it in the morning, but they only give store credit. Any ideas what I should get for $125?