Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i just purchased a 2002 Subaru Legacy L today, and now that i have it home, i went to take it around the block a few times and it doesnt take too long for the temperature gauge to climb to the top. i checked the coolant fluid levels and it isnt that. do you guys have any idea on why this could be happening? Also the cooling fan is running.

Edited by MATTinTHEhat

What issues did the previous owner tell you the car had?

Mileage?

Were head gaskets replaced? If so when?

Is the lower radiator hose hot?

O.

i wasnt told of any issues, i was told that it checked out fine by a mechanic about a month ago and it has been pretty much sitting ever since.

as for the radiator hose i am unsure because the last time i took it out was about an hour ago.

I'm thinking it is a leak of some sort, however my mother thinks that it may be the waterpump. i am unsure because i do not know much about cars and i haven't had a whole lot of experience with them

Edited by MATTinTHEhat

i wasnt told of any issues, i was told that it checked out fine by a mechanic about a month ago and it has been pretty much sitting ever since.

as for the radiator hose i am unsure because the last time i took it out was about an hour ago.

I'm thinking it is a leak of some sort, however my mother thinks that it may be the waterpump. i am unsure because i do not know much about cars and i haven't had a whole lot of experience with them

If it were a leak, the fluid level should be low, right? Hopefully there isn't a leak as the 2002 can still suffer external head gasket leaks and this would be a somewhat costly fix.

Be careful not to allow the car to overheat too often as there can be more damage done.

The question of whether the lower radiator hose gets hot is an indicator if there is a blockage in the radiator. It could also be a bad radiator cap, a bad thermostat. It could be...

If you don't have much experience (I don't either) I would recommend finding a reputable Subaru mechanic to diagnose your problem. While there are some very knowledgeable and helpful people on the site, you will need someone to do hands on work.

Where are you located? Perhaps someone here can steer you to a competent mechanic. Subarus have some particular quirks and it would be best to find someone with experience.

Edited by brus brother